Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Atkinson <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/29 10:18:37 UTC

Solr GeoHash Field (Solr 4.5)

Hi,

I've been reading up a lot on what David has written about GeoHash fields
and would like to use them.

I'm trying to create a nice way to display cluster counts of geo points on
a google map. It's naturally not going to be possible to send 40k marker
information over the wire to cluster... so figured GeoHash would be
perfect.

I'm running Solr 4.5. I've seen this.. https://github.com/dsmiley/SOLR-2155
Would this be what I use? It looks like it's really old, and I noticed that
there is now a "solr.GeoHash" core field...

However, if I check the documentation at this page
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialSearchDev

Solr includes a the field type "solr.GeoHashField" but it unfortunately
> doesn't realize any of the intrinsic properties of the geohash to its
> advantage. *You shouldn't use it.* Instead, check out
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialSearch#SOLR-2155. The main feature is
> multi-valued field support.

 Does this mean that there isn't any way to use GeoHash with my version of
Solr?

Should I just implement a multi value field andadd all of the multi value
fields myself?

(Also, can you confirm that for doing clustering, I'm on the right track
for using GeoHash. I don't need anything perfect. I just want to be able to
break up the markers into groups).

Thanks

Re: Solr GeoHash Field (Solr 4.5)

Posted by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com>.
On IRC you said you found out the answers before I came along.  For
everyone else’s benefit:

* Solr’s “documentation” is essentially the “Solr Reference Guide”. Only
look at the wiki as a secondary source.

* See “location_rpt” in the example schema.xml which supports multi-valued
spatial data.  It’s the evolution of SOLR-2155.

* For clustering, see: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialClustering

~ David Smiley
Freelance Apache Lucene/Solr Search Consultant/Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley