Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Kortni Smith <ks...@abebooks.com> on 2010/05/26 22:36:30 UTC

RE: rownum, row_number() or looping ability with hiveql? - LIMIT clause

Thank Josh, If I could use the LIMIT clause I'd like to, but since I need to
impose a limit on each group (max 10 results PER isbn's for example), and
hive does not support subqueries in the where clause, I'm at a loss for how
to implement this.  Any examples or further thoughts on this?

We're currently evaluating whether to use pig or hive - and this is one thing
that was easier to implement with pig.  Am I overlooking a simple approach?

Thanks again for any assistance on this.

Kortni

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
If you write a similar UDF which takes the partitioning column (isbn in your example) as input and restarts the sequence at 0 whenever it sees a new value in this column, then you can combine it with

ORDER BY isbn,price

in a subselect to get the result you want.  Whether or not this is good enough depends on the amount of data on which the ranking filter is being applied (since ORDER BY currently forces everything to go through a single reducer).

JVS