Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com> on 2007/03/29 23:34:24 UTC

migration utility

I wasn't able to run the script to migrate to apache UIMA.
I also couldn't find the jar file used by the script:

$UIMA_JAVA_CALL" -cp "$UIMA_HOME/uima-core.jar:$UIMA_HOME/uima-tools.jar"
org.apache.uima.tools.migration.IbmUimaToApacheUima %1 -ext
java,xml,xmi,wsdd,properties,launch,bat,cmd,sh,ksh,csh,

Thanks,
Frank

Re: migration utility

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.

>> I downloaded the binaries as well as the source, but I didn't follow through
>> with the binary distribution. But I built everything from the source, as
>> described in the link you mention.
>> <snip/>
>
> The migration tool was designed to be run from the binaries (perhaps
> we should have made it easier to run from the source dist too, sorry
> about that).
>
> It should of course be possible to build the binaries from the source.
>  When you followed the instructions, did you also include the "How to
> build the full Apache UIMA Distribution" part?  The steps are as
> follows:

Nope, I didn't do that. I thought that step was only optional for building
the docbooks and such.

In the meantime, I downloaded the binaries and used the migration tool
successfully.

I will try building from source another time.

Thanks,
Frank

Re: migration utility

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 3/30/07, Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the binaries as well as the source, but I didn't follow through
> with the binary distribution. But I built everything from the source, as
> described in the link you mention.
> <snip/>

The migration tool was designed to be run from the binaries (perhaps
we should have made it easier to run from the source dist too, sorry
about that).

It should of course be possible to build the binaries from the source.
 When you followed the instructions, did you also include the "How to
build the full Apache UIMA Distribution" part?  The steps are as
follows:

First do a build as described in "Building from the command line".
Then execute the following:

$>cd ../uimaj-distr
$>mvn assembly:assembly

This will build the javadocs and the manual (using docbooks, as
described below), and will create .zip, .tar.gz, and .tar.bz2 archives
of the full UIMA distribution in the uimaj-distr/target directory.

This should create you a zip file that's equivalent to the binary
distribution.

In this zip file is the elusive lib directory. :)

-Adam

Re: Problems with building from subversion

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Frank Schilder wrote:
> I double-checked whether I actually downloaded the binaries and it seems
> like that I didn't. After downloading them, I now see the jar files (and
> also the eclipse plugins which were also missing from my installation).
>
> I did, however, follow all the steps for building with subversion in
> eclipse. It  seems to me that that way of building UIMA is missing some
> steps (e.g. Generating jar files and the eclipse plugin).

If you look on the "Building with Maven" page in the section "How to
build the full Apache UIMA distribution", you'll see how to create the
distribution and where the files end up.

HTH,
Thilo

Problems with building from subversion

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.
I double-checked whether I actually downloaded the binaries and it seems
like that I didn't. After downloading them, I now see the jar files (and
also the eclipse plugins which were also missing from my installation).

I did, however, follow all the steps for building with subversion in
eclipse. It  seems to me that that way of building UIMA is missing some
steps (e.g. Generating jar files and the eclipse plugin).

I'll try the binaries now...
Frank

BTW: Because I still have the UIMA 2.0.2 eclipse plugins, changing the
descriptor files for the openNLP wrappers resulted into 2.0.2 files with the
old header <analysisEngineDescription
xmlns="http://uima.watson.ibm.com/resourceSpecifier">

Does that mean it's not possible to have UIMA 2.0.2 and Apache UIMA in one
Eclipse installation?

(http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/2.1.0-incubating/uimaj-2.1.0-in>>

Re: migration utility

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.

Re: migration utility

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
Did you download the UIMA binary distribution?
(http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/2.1.0-incubating/uimaj-2.1.0-incubating-bin.zip)?

It sounds like you may be using the source distribution (or an svn
extract) in which case you would have to build it first.
(http://incubator.apache.org/uima/svn.html#building.with.maven).

And you need to set the UIMA_HOME to the top-level ("apache-uima")
directory of the 2.1 distribution, not 2.0.2.

-Adam

On 3/29/07, Frank.Schilder@thomson.com <Fr...@thomson.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> You're right about the missing lib dir. I removed those while testing.
>
> But I'm a little bit confused about the jars, because I can't find them on my computer at all (I did a spotlight search with no results).
>
> I'm also not sure whether I have the correct path information for UIMA_HOME. UIMA_HOME is currently set to the UIMA 2.0.2 directory. That seems to be wrong. Could you tell me which path it should be set to? /uimaj, perhaps? But I can't see a lib dir anywhere..
> Thasnk,
> Frank

RE: migration utility

Posted by Fr...@thomson.com.