Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/05 08:59:51 UTC

SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Here is my situation. Currently, our e-mail isn't managed within our
organization. We have a third party ISP who is hosting the e-mail for us. We
simply configure our Outlook clients to authenticate to their SMTP/POP
servers. Is there a way that I could setup a SpamAssassin box at each of my
sites to filter each Outlook clients' outgoing and incoming mail? I'm not
sure if this is possible and I am a novice on the technology of e-mail.
Here's how I see it working:

It would be just like a web proxy. The outlook clients are redirectd to the
spamassassin box which filters the e-mail and forwards/relays the requests
onto our ISP's e-mail servers. If you can assist me at all with this I would
be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.
On Jul 5, 2005, at 2:59 AM, Jesse Shumaker wrote:

> Here is my situation. Currently, our e-mail isn't managed within
> our organization. We have a third party ISP who is hosting the e-
> mail for us. We simply configure our Outlook clients to
> authenticate to their SMTP/POP servers. Is there a way that I could
> setup a SpamAssassin box at each of my sites to filter each Outlook
> clients' outgoing and incoming mail?

You can set up a box running fetchmail to grab messages from your
ISP's POP3 server, and then run them through SpamAssassin before
delivering them to a mailbox on that box.  Then, set your Outlook
clients to use your local box as the POP3 / IMAP server.  You'll
loose the ability to reject mail based on SA scores, but you can
throw the spam into a separate folder for each user.  I do this for
my home network and it works quite nicely.

Steven
---
Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Paolo Cravero as2594 <pc...@as2594.net>.
Jesse Shumaker wrote:

> Let me try and summarize what I have recieved from all these e-mails as
[...]
> use and am trying to piece it all together.

Correct, except that the remote POP3 server is specified on client
configuration and not wired statically on the pop3 proxy box. At least
with the SApop3proxy we're using.

Ciao,
pc

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
We have 9 site and around 20 users who need e-mail on average per site. What
I really want in the end is a SpamAssassin, ClamAV, setup. I want to make it
so that the users can either grab their filtered mail from a linux box
inside each site that has already pulled their mail from the ISP's mail
server, or a linux box at each site that just acts as a filter and the
clients connect through it to receive their SpamAssassined/ClamAV filtered
mail. At a maximum I just want to have to change the clients e-mail
settings, not install a program to get this working. I also need this to
work in Debian Knoppix. This is due to the auto hardware configuration it
offers. Right now I am gathering information on the possibilities of this
and getting documentation on how it can be implemented. I plan on getting a
lot of the base stuff out of the way in the next few days. This involves the
Knoppix install, network configuration, webmin install, and then the
spamassassin/clamav install. From there I will need to configure it all to
work in one of the two ways I mentioned earlier. I am just trying to sort
all this information and decide on the most efficient route to reach this
goal. I appreciate all the help given so far.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Jesse Shumaker wrote on Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:51:13 -0700:

> I want to do
> what you say you've created at home but don't have documentation on how to
> set this up.

virusscanning + SA: check out MailScanner or MIMEDefang.
BTW: most Linux systems can adapt to different hardware quite nicely. If you
use the default kernel of a Suse distribution you can even switch between AMD
and Intel.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
"If you're interested in doing AV scanning in addition to spam
scanning / tagging, then you're probably better off to have fetchmail
deliver POP'ed mail to an MTA like Postfix or Exim, and have it do
the spam / AV scanning. I use Exim exclusively, and have this exact
set up running on my home server for friends and family. Works great."

Do you think you could provide me with some documentation on how you're
doing this? That is the biggest challenge for me right now. I want to do
what you say you've created at home but don't have documentation on how to
set this up. I'm so new to all these mail programs in Linux and need some
solid direction to learn how to integrate everything into an ultimate
spam/virus killing macine ;)

thanks

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
I need to use Knoppix due to it's ability to detect new hardware on each
boot. this way I can just clone the hard drives into new systems that might
have different hardware. I don't have any preference with the MTA. I have
heard that sendmail is really deep and hard to configure, but that is all.
My experience level with linux is pretty good. There are a lot of services
and apps. that I haven't touched or configured but I know how to get around
Linux pretty well. If I had a howto on setting this up I could follow it and
accomplish what is outlined. In terms of projects, at my work I have
implemented an open source solution for Trouble Tickets called OTRS. I have
played with many of the different distributions. Redhat, SuSE, Gentoo,
Debian, OpenBSD, Obuntu, and a few others.

Posted by Steven Dickenson <st...@mrchuckles.net>.

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Procmail will act as the pop3 server

Not quite.  My belief (and Joanne set this up, so she has the actual details) is that Fetchmail is feeding procmail, possibly going through Sendmail to do this. Procmail has a 2-line recipe that calls SA as part of the delivery process for local deliery to an account on the Linux box.

Then the standard Linux pop3 server is used to let users pull mail from this mailbox.

We don't use Clam here, since we have Semantic on the final destination Windoze boxen, and this seems to work well enough.  We're also pulling from Earthlink accounts using pop3, and they have a first level of virus buster there, so things actually get virus scanned twice.

I don't know if Clam can be integrated using Procmail or not.  If it can be executed as a normal Unix stdin-stdout filter, I don't know why it wouldn't be possible to do it that way.  So you should (I think!) be able to feed to clam, and then to SA (actually spamd), and have the resulting mail end up sitting in user mailboxes ready to be grabbed by the users using pop3.

I don't recall if you said your users are windows-types or unixen, but I'm assuming they are windows users.  If you want to enable Bayes with this setup you should be able to do it either per-user or site-wide fairly easily.  There is a plethora of information on setting up some imap ham/spam drop boxes that users can easily get to from either OE or Outlook to use for training the Bayes database.  Works like a charm here.

        Loren

      Let me try and summarize what I have recieved from all these e-mails as well as put together myself. Then you guys could give me some feedback if I'm on the right trail. What I need to do is install SpamAssassin w/pop3proxy on a linux box. Then setup the pop3proxy to point to my external pop3 server. On the client side I will need to setup each client's login to include their login name and the SpamAssassin/pop3proxy server (I'm not sure if I can only do this if I use the SAproxy utility for windows). Thats how I understand this should work. Now configuring this is another situation. How does it look to you guys? I have just noticed that there are a lot of utilities and stuff to use and am trying to piece it all together.

          |    QRPp-I #707  + www.paolocravero.tk +  I QRP #476   |

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
No, it doesn't. We go fetchmail to procmail to mailbox and local POP3
server. AV filtering is done on the local machines via a standard AV
tool that is maintained up to date automatically. I don't trust tools
like ClamAV to be as up to the minute as the email scanners. (Besides,
SA filters here as combined with Earthlink's AV filters, leave me with
no spam getting through except to the spam mailbox which gets discarded
mostly unread.

{^_^}   (I'm doing Loren's mini-ISP service here locally pullout our
        mail down as described.)

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
Loren,

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
OK. This is what I thought I needed to do. Just to clarify, SAproxy is the
same as pop3proxy.pl correct? I've looked around and can't find a download
for these. It looks like they have been discontinued. I saw that a new one
which is only windows based has sprung up called SpamFu. I need it to be
Linux based. Could you send me the perl files or the tar.gz of SAproxy or
pop3proxy.pl? so you don't need procmail for any of this, or a way to
process the mail. Only SpamAssassin and the SAproxy or pop3proxy.pl are
required? I have thought about integrating ClamAV into this so that
anti-virus is filtered as well. I really appreciate your help in all of
this.

As a side note I found a file called "pop3proxy-1.2.0.tar.gz". Is this the
correct proxy? I've looked at the original link you gave me and it's made
for windows, not linux. I can see the principles but still need the files to
test this out.

I don't mean to be difficult in all of this, I just want to understand the
process and make sure I know how to do things.

thanks

Posted by Paolo Cravero as2594 <pc...@as2594.net>.

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paolo Cravero as2594 <pc...@as2594.net>.

Jesse,

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Jesse Shumaker wrote on Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:59:51 -0700:

> Is there a way that I could setup a SpamAssassin box at each of my
> sites to filter each Outlook clients' outgoing and incoming mail?

outgoing: use Mailscanner and then forward to the smarthost of your ISP.
incoming: don't know, either talk to your ISP to use ETRN or use fetchmail
on this box to get the mail. I don't know how to get the fetchmailed mail
thru MailScanner, though. I remember having heard it's possible.

Do you have a steady connection and a static IP? In this case simply be
your own mailserver and stop using that ISP.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: SpamAssassin w/POP3 & SMTP outsourced e-mail server...

Posted by Jesse Shumaker <je...@gmail.com>.
I am in a non-profit organization so we are very tight on money. A third
party solution may be out of the question, depending the cost. Would
Spamassassin have to grab all the e-mail from the ISP and then I would
configure each client to access the spamassassin to download their mail? If
there is a way to do this, with my situation, I would love to know. I'm not
quite clear on what you are saying in your last response.

"Setup an SA box, point your domain MX records at it, then forward the
emails back to your ISP for delivery. (complexity varies)"

How would this play out in my situation? How would the clients receive
e-mail this way?