Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/10/15 14:23:13 UTC

Support questions to ooo-private?

I know there was a mystery why we were getting a few questions/week to
ooo-private.   I think I found a clue.

Start from the bug tracking page, our BZ instance:

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/

Note the language at the bottom "In case of problems with the
functioning of Apache OOo Bugzilla...".  Average user doesn't know
Bugzilla from their elbow.  They see "problem" and "Apache" and send a
note.

The get an auto-response that says:

"Thank you for contacting The Apache Software Foundation OpenOffice Bugzilla
Administrators.

- If your concern is a bug in the OpenOffice software, please re-send your
  question to the ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list, or look
  for an answer on the user forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/.

 - For confidential matters ONLY, you may follow-up to the privately-archived
  ooo-private@incubator.apache.org  mailing list.  Normal bug reports are not
  confidential and should be directed to ooo-users@incubator.apache.org."

Does the user want private/confidential help?  Of course they do.
Identity theft, spam, etc.  Who wouldn't want this?

IMHO, there is no good reason to mention ooo-private in the context of
support.  This will only draw a percentage of users to send support
questions to the private list.  In the very rare case where there is a
security-related issue, where confidentiality is warranted,  the user
would be clueful enough to find the security page on the website and
submit the report that way.

-Rob

Re: Support questions to ooo-private?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/15/2012 02:23 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> I know there was a mystery why we were getting a few questions/week to
> ooo-private.   I think I found a clue.
>
> Start from the bug tracking page, our BZ instance:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/
>
> Note the language at the bottom "In case of problems with the
> functioning of Apache OOo Bugzilla...".  Average user doesn't know
> Bugzilla from their elbow.  They see "problem" and "Apache" and send a
> note.
>
> The get an auto-response that says:
>
> "Thank you for contacting The Apache Software Foundation OpenOffice Bugzilla
> Administrators.
>
> - If your concern is a bug in the OpenOffice software, please re-send your
>    question to the ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list, or look
>    for an answer on the user forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/.
>
>   - For confidential matters ONLY, you may follow-up to the privately-archived
>    ooo-private@incubator.apache.org  mailing list.  Normal bug reports are not
>    confidential and should be directed to ooo-users@incubator.apache.org."

IMHO the "confidential", "only", "private" etc. wording should be
deleted resp. replaced with a "ooo-dev@" fitting formulation.

> Does the user want private/confidential help?  Of course they do.
> Identity theft, spam, etc.  Who wouldn't want this?
>
> IMHO, there is no good reason to mention ooo-private in the context of
> support.  This will only draw a percentage of users to send support
> questions to the private list.  In the very rare case where there is a
> security-related issue, where confidentiality is warranted,  the user
> would be clueful enough to find the security page on the website and
> submit the report that way.

When there is a case that private mails are necessary then we should
treat the user individually. That's much better than to point all users
generlly to our private ML.

So, +1 for changing this.

Marcus

Re: Support questions to ooo-private?

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 15 October 2012 13:23, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> I know there was a mystery why we were getting a few questions/week to
> ooo-private.   I think I found a clue.
>
> Start from the bug tracking page, our BZ instance:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/
>
> Note the language at the bottom "In case of problems with the
> functioning of Apache OOo Bugzilla...".  Average user doesn't know
> Bugzilla from their elbow.  They see "problem" and "Apache" and send a
> note.
>
> The get an auto-response that says:
>
> "Thank you for contacting The Apache Software Foundation OpenOffice
> Bugzilla
> Administrators.
>
> - If your concern is a bug in the OpenOffice software, please re-send your
>   question to the ooo-users@incubator.apache.org mailing list, or look
>   for an answer on the user forums at http://user.services.openoffice.org/
> .
>
>  - For confidential matters ONLY, you may follow-up to the
> privately-archived
>   ooo-private@incubator.apache.org  mailing list.  Normal bug reports are
> not
>   confidential and should be directed to ooo-users@incubator.apache.org."
>
> Does the user want private/confidential help?  Of course they do.
> Identity theft, spam, etc.  Who wouldn't want this?
>
> IMHO, there is no good reason to mention ooo-private in the context of
> support.  This will only draw a percentage of users to send support
> questions to the private list.  In the very rare case where there is a
> security-related issue, where confidentiality is warranted,  the user
> would be clueful enough to find the security page on the website and
> submit the report that way.

+1

--
Ian