Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by KazMax <an...@kazmax.co.uk> on 2009/07/21 07:12:09 UTC

Log4Net and Windows 7

I have a software project which I was previously developing under Windows XP.
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 (64bit release candidate) and transferred
the project across. Everything works perfectly, except Log4Net. And I can't
get it working.

I had previously defined my Log4Net setup to record messages in both a log
file and also sent via UDP to Log4View. The logging to file works fine, but
no messages ever make it to Log4View.

I immediately thought "firewall issue". I couldn't find a set of firewall
rules which would allow the UDP (or TCP) traffic from Log4Net, so I switched
the firewall off - it made no difference, I still didn't get any messages
from Log4Net.

I've had broadly similar problems with SMTP/POP3/IMAP for a Mail Server I
was trying to install on Windows 7 (and also Windows Server 2008 which is
based upon the same code base), in that I couldn't get that mail server to
connect to the outside world.

Is there something I'm missing with Windows 7?

Re: Log4Net and Windows 7 - SOLUTION FOUND!

Posted by KazMax <an...@kazmax.co.uk>.
Via Google I found the following article. As soon as I had entered that
UdpAppender for my Log4Net installation it started working:

http://markmail.org/message/2nlxkf5i6v3xvda7#query:+page:1+mid:2nlxkf5i6v3xvda7+state:results

IPV6 is the cause of this problem. Thanks for the help to get my onto this
solution!

Andrew

Re: Log4Net and Windows 7

Posted by KazMax <an...@kazmax.co.uk>.