Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2006/02/20 17:01:23 UTC

Bringing up Gump on Java1.5

I need to bring up Gump on Java1.5. Ultimately, I'd like to do this on
apache hardware, because I want other projects to get hate mail when
they break my Java1.5-only code. Short term I'd like to host it on a
vmware image locally.

Does anyone have a ready-to-go vmware image in a common unix distro
ready to go? Or shall I start from scratch?

-steve

Re: Bringing up Gump on Java1.5

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:42:33PM +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> You may have missed it, but vmgump is now running Java 5. 8-)
>> I see now that that is the case. Me must be grateful for at least some
>> benefit coming from JUnit 4.0
>>
>> Expect some newly added smartfrog projects to start failing shortly. I
>> have quite a complex little dependency graph to put together and it till
>> take a while to stabilise
>>
>> I'm still interested in a vmware image with gump on though, if anyone
>> does have one to hand. "gump to go"
>
> It should be easy enough to take the vmgump image. Some issue there with
> eg /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd. I think the people that can do that are
> me, Noel Bergman and Berin Lautenbach. I have -10hours of sleep a week
> at the moment so it'l be a while before I get to this...

Is it already a vmware image? hmmm.

FWIW there is a trick to making a physical winXP system virtual; you do
a network backup with a boot CD, then boot the CD in the VM and restore
your network backup to the vmware world. Don't do this for win2000+
domained boxes, cos the domain controller doesnt like >1 box with the
same UUID.

Re: Bringing up Gump on Java1.5

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:42:33PM +0000, Steve Loughran wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I need to bring up Gump on Java1.5.
> >

> >You may have missed it, but vmgump is now running Java 5. 8-)
>
> I see now that that is the case. Me must be grateful for at least some
> benefit coming from JUnit 4.0
>
> Expect some newly added smartfrog projects to start failing shortly. I
> have quite a complex little dependency graph to put together and it till
> take a while to stabilise
>
> I'm still interested in a vmware image with gump on though, if anyone
> does have one to hand. "gump to go"

It should be easy enough to take the vmgump image. Some issue there with
eg /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd. I think the people that can do that are
me, Noel Bergman and Berin Lautenbach. I have -10hours of sleep a week
at the moment so it'l be a while before I get to this...

- LSD

Re: Bringing up Gump on Java1.5

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I need to bring up Gump on Java1.5.

You may have missed it, but vmgump is now running Java 5. 8-)

Stefan