Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/10/13 19:49:06 UTC

Poll...1.0 for Apache Con - Feature request

All,

I sent an e-mail out about a week ago on what people thought about getting
Geronimo 1.0 out for Apache Con coming up in December.  I've heard back from a
few folks and the feedback has been generally positive.  There are a lot of
things we'd like to get done in terms of new feature / function and if we wait
until Geronimo is complete with all the cool stuff it will be a while before we
cut a 1.0 branch.

I think it would be sweet to finish this year out by saying we hit a 1.0 release
and Apache Con seems to be a good point to make the announcement.  So the
question is what do we need to get done to say 1.0 is ready?

So to kick off the discussion here we go ...

I included a brief calender below of the time we have between now and Apache Con
to try and figure out how much gas there was to get things done.  I figure we
have a little over 3 weeks to get our work done before we cut a branch and start
testing / verifying it.  I assumed that Thanksgiving week would be a bust for
most people so I took it out of the available time.  That leaves about three
weeks for CTS testing and resolving issues.  Thoughts on whether this makes any
sense or not?  I wrote my thoughts on what I figured was important for us in
terms of users accepting the server and using it.  Not sure how to get these
things done and I expect I'm missing a ton of things.

Let the adventure begin...

Feature list for 1.0

Console - focus on ensuring console is functional
Statement cache in TranQL - Improve JDBC performance
Installer for Geronimo (allow for selection of Web Container :)
Performance testing and fixes
Testing for stability
Usability (testing deploy of apps and customer experience)
DayTrader face lift and documentation

- Matt

October

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|     |     |     |     |  13 |  14 |  15 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|  16 | 17  |  18 |  19 |  20 |  21 |  22 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|  23 | 24  |  25 |  26 |  27 |  28 |  29 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|  30 | 31  |     |     |     |     |     |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

November

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|     |     |   1 |   2 |   3 |  4  |  5  |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Cut 1.0 Branch on 11/7 and begin CTS testing
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|   6 |  7  |   8 |   9 |  10 |  11 |  12 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
|  13 | 14  |  15 |  16 |  17 |  18 |  19 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Next week is Thanksgiving.
I figure its a blackout week.
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|  20 | 21  |  22 |  23 |  24 |  25 |  26 |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
|  27 | 28  |  29 |  30 |     |     |     |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

December

12/2 - CTS Tested and Verified 1.0 ready

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|     |     |     |     |   1 |  2  |  3  |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

12/10 - Apache Con Begins

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Sun |     |     |     |     |     | Sat |
|   4 |  5  |   6 |   7 |   8 |   9 |  10 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
|  11 | 12  |  13 |  14 |  15 |  18 |  19 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
|  20 | 21  |  22 |  23 |  24 |  25 |  26 |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
|  27 | 28  |  29 |  30 |     |     |     |
|     |     |     |     |     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

Re: Poll...1.0 for Apache Con - Feature request

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On 10/17/05, Kresten Krab Thorup <kr...@trifork.com> wrote:
>

>>Integration with the CORBA stuff would indeed take several weeks; and
>>then after that we need to grind it through the TCK.  So I don't
>>think we can finish all this before the proposed cut-off 3 weeks from
>>now.
>>
>>I've been down with pneumonia for the last 3+ weeks, so things have
>>been at a standstill here with regards to new development.  Today is
>>my first day back to work, and I'm preparing for OSCON in Amsterdam
>>tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to meet some of you!

> I don't speak for everyone, certainly, but I know I've heard a number
> of people agree that using the Sun ORB is not sufficient for the 1.0
> release so I'm interested in getting the TriFork stuff into the hands
> of the community sooner rather than later. Kresten, this would also
> allow you to begin to discuss the integration work with the rest of
> the community in an effort to get it ready for the 1.0 release we're
> discussing in this thread. Is it possible for TriFork to commit the
> CORBA stuff to the sandbox so that the community can begin to take a
> look at it?

+1 from me...I would definately like to start eye-balling the code.
The sooner we can start looking at it, the sooner we can get prepared to
use it.

Jeff

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kresten Krab Thorup <kr...@trifork.com>.
Hi there.

Integration with the CORBA stuff would indeed take several weeks; and
then after that we need to grind it through the TCK.  So I don't
think we can finish all this before the proposed cut-off 3 weeks from
now.

I've been down with pneumonia for the last 3+ weeks, so things have
been at a standstill here with regards to new development.  Today is
my first day back to work, and I'm preparing for OSCON in Amsterdam
tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to meet some of you!

Kresten Krab Thorup
krab@trifork.com

"We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our
children." Saint Exupery

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
If you mean I can type with two fingers...sadly, your probably right ;-P

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
+1 on the timeline.

I'd like to add "evaluate all bug reports in detail" to the list for
1.0.  Of course, there needs to be widespread agreement in order for
that to actually happen.  :)

Aaron