Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org> on 2011/07/13 18:01:04 UTC

Configure phase timeout

Hi,

Having started repeatedly some mini clusters on EC2 today, I ran several
times into the following problem.

The install phase of Whirr takes quite some time to download all the stuff
(java, zookeeper, hadoop, hbase), often going over 10 minutes in time. I
noticed that after 10 minutes, if the install phase script has not finished
yet, Whirr happily prints "Script run completed" and goes on with the
configure phase (I noticed the same thing yesterday when adding the blocking
wait-for-namenode thing before starting HBase services).

The processes on the servers clearly show that the script from the install
phase is still running then. The configure scripts fail quickly because some
of the software is not yet available.

I know there's a curl timeout of 10 minutes, but this is unrelated.
Sometimes after 10 minutes it was still doing the apt-get of java.

Does this ring a bell to someone?

--
Bruno Dumon
Outerthought

Re: Configure phase timeout

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Adrian is this related to jclouds? Is there a built-in timeout when
starting nodes?

--
-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro

Re: Configure phase timeout

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
fyi: today I had no problem with this anymore (I mean, it didn't take 10
minutes to boostrap). Maybe it is because I switched to a different image
(canonical ubuntu 11.04) rather than the by default selected rightscale
image. apt-get java takes like 4 seconds now. I had a look at the
sources.list, and it points to URLs like
http://eu-west-1.ec2.archive.ubuntu.com, so local to the ec2 datacenter. Not
sure what was the problem yesterday.