Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ed Stafford <dy...@yahoo.com> on 2000/10/06 23:19:38 UTC

Problems with Tomcat/Jserv on Solaris

I've been trying to install Tomcat+Apache on a Sun
Solaris 7 system today.  Here's what I've gotten:

Using Tomcat 3.1-Stable:
 * Tomcat compiles without error
 * Jserv module fails to build.  I've performed:
  apxs -o mod_jserv.so -c *.c

and it returns with an error:
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=-256

I did notice that the last line lacks a linker or
anthing. Here's the output of the last few lines:
gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
-DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
jserv_wrapper_win.c
gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
-DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
mod_jserv.c
  -o mod_jserv.so mod_jserv.o jserv_wrapper_win.o
jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o
jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o jserv_protocols.o
jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o
jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o autochange.o

As you can see, after mod_jserv.c compiles, and it
goes to compile it all into a library, it doesn't list
a linker.  On an x86 Linux machine, the exact same
thing works find with a 'gcc -shared ' before the -o.
I tried building it by hand by putting 'gcc ' before
the -o, but it complains about symbol errors, and
looks like it's trying to link to some apache library
which doesn't exist (or I don't know where the library
is).

I REALLY need help on this guys.  I know it's not the
latest and greatest build, but it's for a production
environment.  Here's the description of the installed
software on this system:

Solaris 7 Server
gcc 2.7.2.3
libstdc++
bison 1.2.8
Sun JDK 1.3

Thanks

=====
Ed Stafford
dysan_3000@yahoo.com

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: Problems with Tomcat/Jserv on Solaris

Posted by Marcia Perry <mp...@lbl.gov>.
Hi Ed,

I had problems building mod_jserv.so on Solaris 2.7 last week (I got
a different error number but the 'apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so' failed.
I found something that worked and I'm using tomcat 3.1 w/ apache 1.3.12
as we speak.  So maybe try this:
	recompile apache and use the 'configure' script in the apache
	toplevel directory

	run:  ./configure [prefix=<an_install_dir_other_than_default>] \
		  --enable-module=so --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE \
		  --enable-module=most --enable-shared=max
		(NOTE: I'm not sure that last 2 options are necessary,
	        but the others are).
	(then do 'make' and 'make install')

Now recompile tomcat's mod_jserv.so like this:
	apxs -c *.c -o mod_jserv.so
	ld -G autochange.so mod_jserv.o jserv_wrapper_win.o \
		jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o \
		jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o jserv_protocols.o \
		jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o \
		jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o autochange.o mod_jserv.so

(Then run 'httpd -l' to be sure that mod_so.c is compiled in.  I
copied both autochange.so and mod_jserv.so to apache's libexec dirs.)

I'm a newbie so maybe some of these steps aren't required, but I did
get things working.

I got this idea from a great source of help:
	http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/tj3.1/README.html.
I wish the tomcat folks would put a link to this from the tomcat
website!!

--marcia
Ed Stafford wrote:

> I've been trying to install Tomcat+Apache on a Sun
> Solaris 7 system today.  Here's what I've gotten:
>
> Using Tomcat 3.1-Stable:
>  * Tomcat compiles without error
>  * Jserv module fails to build.  I've performed:
>   apxs -o mod_jserv.so -c *.c
>
> and it returns with an error:
> apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=-256
>
> I did notice that the last line lacks a linker or
> anthing. Here's the output of the last few lines:
> gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
> -DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
> jserv_wrapper_win.c
> gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
> -DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
> mod_jserv.c
>   -o mod_jserv.so mod_jserv.o jserv_wrapper_win.o
> jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o
> jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o jserv_protocols.o
> jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o
> jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o autochange.o
>
> As you can see, after mod_jserv.c compiles, and it
> goes to compile it all into a library, it doesn't list
> a linker.  On an x86 Linux machine, the exact same
> thing works find with a 'gcc -shared ' before the -o.
> I tried building it by hand by putting 'gcc ' before
> the -o, but it complains about symbol errors, and
> looks like it's trying to link to some apache library
> which doesn't exist (or I don't know where the library
> is).
>
> I REALLY need help on this guys.  I know it's not the
> latest and greatest build, but it's for a production
> environment.  Here's the description of the installed
> software on this system:
>
> Solaris 7 Server
> gcc 2.7.2.3
> libstdc++
> bison 1.2.8
> Sun JDK 1.3
>
> Thanks
>
> =====
> Ed Stafford
> dysan_3000@yahoo.com

> http://photos.yahoo.com/

Marcia Perry                            MPerry@lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   WORK#  (510) 486-6786
1 Cyclotron Road                        FAX#   (510) 486-6363
Berkeley, CA 94720     			MS: 50A-3111