Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sergio <j....@infosatgeomatica.com> on 2006/03/21 03:19:30 UTC

Configure for hosting

Hi guys! I'm new here.
I have some questions about how to configure James like production mail server in our business
network. I'm trying to replace sendmail with James because we how some issues with sendmail and it
should be reinstalled anyway. So as I like James because of easy installation and very smooth work
on my personal server, I'd like to start using it on my work. My first question is how to configure
both SMTP and POP servers with AUTH enabled for users hosted on our nine domains.
I want to create addresses like that: info@myhost.com, mail@myhost.com, info@ohterhost.com,
mail@otherhost.com etc. Now I have installed James on production environment but configured just
that part when sendmail redirects all mails to James and James sends them (nice article about it BTW).
Since I'm not a Java programmer I dont understand too much when somebody sends me a snippets of
Java code. It would be nice to have a clear description what exactly I should to do to configure
James for my purposes without recompilling it or writing modules.
Also I'd like to know how its possible to configure James with use of JDBC storing email accounts in MySQL.
I've been looking in Internet but I did not find any good article or even book about production
configuraton of James. Help me please and I'll help to promote James I swear;)

Thank you very much!

--
Best regards,
 Sergio                          mailto:j.subscribe@infosatgeomatica.com

Re: Configure for hosting

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Sergio wrote:
> Hi guys! I'm new here.
> I have some questions about how to configure James like production mail server in our business
> network. I'm trying to replace sendmail with James because we how some issues with sendmail and it
> should be reinstalled anyway. So as I like James because of easy installation and very smooth work
> on my personal server, I'd like to start using it on my work. My first question is how to configure
> both SMTP and POP servers with AUTH enabled for users hosted on our nine domains.
> I want to create addresses like that: info@myhost.com, mail@myhost.com, info@ohterhost.com,
> mail@otherhost.com etc. Now I have installed James on production environment but configured just
> that part when sendmail redirects all mails to James and James sends them (nice article about it BTW).

Just a starting hint:
http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#7

> Also I'd like to know how its possible to configure James with use of JDBC storing email accounts in MySQL.
> I've been looking in Internet but I did not find any good article or even book about production
> configuraton of James. Help me please and I'll help to promote James I swear;)

Just look at the config.xml and read the comments.

Stefano