Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Narendra Sharma <na...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/24 01:23:25 UTC

Changing comparators

Today it is not possible to change the comparators (compare_with and
compare_subcolumns_with). I went through the discussion on thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.cassandra.user/12466.

Does it make sense to atleast allow one way change i.e. from specific types
to generic type? For eg change from TimeUUIDType or UTF8 to BytesType. This
could be a manual process where users will do the schema change and then run
major compaction on all the nodes to fix the ordering.

Thanks,
Naren

Re: Changing comparators

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Compaction assumes that the sstables it has as input are ordered
correctly (otherwise it would have to read the full row into memory to
re-sort).  So it would have to be a new operation, and not feasible in
general for larger-than-memory rows.  I don't think we'll ever add
this.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra