Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/11 17:45:56 UTC

property and property-specification

Since I relatively new to tapestry I really don't understand the use
of the <property> tag in the page or component specification.  I use
<property-specification> often but wonder what the use of property
was.

--
~chris

Re: property and property-specification

Posted by Paul Cantrell <ca...@pobox.com>.
I'm a big fan of eliminating .page files altogether, and using only
annotations. It leaves the code extremely clean and concise -- really
nice to come back and read.

Many thanks for this new feature!

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Remember that in 4.0, you only have to add a <property> element in one
of two cases:
- The property should be persistent (and you aren't using the @Persist
method annotation)
- There is no abstract getter or setter for the property in the Java class

The latter case occurs sometimes when (for example) a For stores its
current loop value into a page property.

In Tapestry 3, it was necessary to always add a <property-specification>.

On 8/11/05, Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> wrote:
> That's correct.
>
> Jamie
>
> On Aug 11, 2005, at 1:30 PM, Paul Cantrell wrote:
>
> > I believe that <property> is simply the 4.0 counterpart to
> > <property-specification>. They renamed a bunch of these tags in 4.0
> > to make them more concise.
> >
> > Others, correct me if I'm wrong....
> >

> > On Aug 11, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:
> >

> >> from the 3.0 DTD:
> >>
> >> <!-- =======================================================
> >> Element: property
> >> Contained by: (many other elements)
> >>
> >> Defines a key/value pair associated with the application or
> >> component specification.  Properties
> >> are used to capture information that doesn't fit into the DTD.
> >> The value for the property is
> >> the PCDATA wrapped by the property tag (which is trimmed of
> >> leading and trailing whitespace).
> >>
> >> This should not be confused with several other tags which are used
> >> to set JavaBeans properties
> >> of various objects.  The <property> tag exists to allow meta-data
> >> to be stored in the specification.
> >>
> >> Attributes:
> >>   name: The name of the property to set.
> >>   value: If specified, is the value of the property, otherwise,
> >> the PCDATA is used.
> >> -->

> >> For additional commands, e-mail: tapestry-user-
> >> help@jakarta.apache.org

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind