Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sdonovan_uk <sd...@yahoo.com> on 2012/11/05 08:22:55 UTC

Variable/dynamic prefetch size

We're trying to use ActiveMQ as the queue for a distributed set of
calculation servers (think many machines with 64-cores on-board).

Imagine a single queue with N consumers.  The only efficient way to scale is
to use consumer prefetch.  However.  Each of our messages can take between
3ms and minutes to process (there is a huge range).  When testing with 3ms
per message (with prefetch of 0 or 1) it is not scaling linearly past ~32
consumers.

Is there anyway (either through configuration, programming, etc.) to make
the prefetch a variable/dynamic value?  Ideally, I'd like to add hints to
the message.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sean

Re: Variable/dynamic prefetch size

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
You can setup per consumer prefetch sizes.  If you can send to a different
queue based on how long each message will take to process (for example
fastqueue and slowqueue)  Then you can setup consumers on fastqueue with a
large prefetch and consumer on slowqueue with a small prefetch.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM, sdonovan_uk <sd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> We're trying to use ActiveMQ as the queue for a distributed set of
> calculation servers (think many machines with 64-cores on-board).
>
> Imagine a single queue with N consumers.  The only efficient way to scale
> is
> to use consumer prefetch.  However.  Each of our messages can take between
> 3ms and minutes to process (there is a huge range).  When testing with 3ms
> per message (with prefetch of 0 or 1) it is not scaling linearly past ~32
> consumers.
>
> Is there anyway (either through configuration, programming, etc.) to make
> the prefetch a variable/dynamic value?  Ideally, I'd like to add hints to
> the message.
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
>
> Sean

**

*Hiram Chirino*

*Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.*