Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/23 12:03:32 UTC

[VOTE] Approve Openmeetings (Incubating) release

The Openmeetings community voted on and has approved a proposal to release
Openmeetings 2.0. Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation
Policy and with the endorsement of two of our mentors we would now
like to request the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the
release on the Download page.

Please vote by 26 July 10 AM GMT

Thanks,
Alexei

Proposal:
http://markmail.org/message/aahmijcb5dsjlxiv

Vote result:
http://markmail.org/message/azenwwlcfhnxmysf

Download page:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/openmeetings

Releases section of the Incubation Policy:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Demos & Kittens
http://markmail.org/message/oqj3eko732rx2cgy

Re: [VOTE] Approve Openmeetings (Incubating) release

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
I don't think you need another IPMC vote, but just in case...

+1 (I too noted most of the minor points Jukka makes and hope these
will be resolved in the next release)

You guys worked hard on this one - great work.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Dave, tanks for the tip. I highly respect all Apache members
(regardless of actual "member" status") and their (your, our) time. I
thank all the thread participants who find their time to help the
release despite being busy and those who wrote a private reply as
well.

As for the patience, the Openmeetings proposal to general@ is dated
Oct 27, 2009.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> HI Alexei,
>
> It seems that you have sent various requests in advance of this one through channels other than general@. This is not appreciated by busy people who do read general@.
>
> Please have patience, the Incubator release process can take some time. IPMC members are busy volunteers many of whom are mentoring other podlings.
>
> See: http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html item #5
>
> Thanks for your consideration and good luck with OpenMeetings, I'm told it's really cool.

I don't see any problem at all with poddlings sending out of band
requests for Incubator PMC members to help with things like release
reviews, in fact FWIR I've several times posted to general@ suggesting
that poddlings pester people offlist if their votes are going
unanswered. The Incubator PMC have a long history of being tardy with
release voting and AWOL mentors, a few off list emails seems harmless
compared to a poddling release being blocked because none of us are
bothering to look.

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Approve Openmeetings (Incubating) release

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
HI Alexei,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
HI Alexei,

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
@Jukka: About No3 *My test build failed trying to svn checkout stuff
from red5 trunk.*
=> In 99% of all cases this is connected because googlecode SVN is
down because of heavy usage. This should only happen occasionally.
I will forward the other points to our dev list to discuss them further.

Thanks!
Sebastian

Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
http://www.openmeetings.de
http://www.webbase-design.de
http://www.wagner-sebastian.com
seba.wagner@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Approve Openmeetings (Incubating) release

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Reviewing the artifacts look good to me.

Regards
JB

On 07/25/2012 04:14 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
> +1 (binding)
>
> I went through the artifacts and everything looks in order.
> Hadrian
>
> On 07/23/2012 06:03 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>> The Openmeetings community voted on and has approved a proposal to
>> release
>> Openmeetings 2.0. Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation
>> Policy and with the endorsement of two of our mentors we would now
>> like to request the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the
>> release on the Download page.
>>
>> Please vote by 26 July 10 AM GMT
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alexei
>>
>> Proposal:
>> http://markmail.org/message/aahmijcb5dsjlxiv
>>
>> Vote result:
>> http://markmail.org/message/azenwwlcfhnxmysf
>>
>> Download page:
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/openmeetings
>>
>> Releases section of the Incubation Policy:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
>>
>> Demos & Kittens
>> http://markmail.org/message/oqj3eko732rx2cgy
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Alexei Fedotov
>> <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jukka, thanks for explaining.
>>>
>>> Ross, Andrus,
>>> would you please consider voting for the Openmeetings release? We are
>>> stuck with insufficient number of votes. Thanks!
>>>
>>> Incubator folks,
>>> Don't allow another little cute kitten and fluffy puppy die by
>>> missing Apache Openmeetings (Incubating) release:
>>> http://demo.openmeetings.de/openmeetings/
>>> http://demo.dataved.ru/openmeetings/
>>>
>>> You are mostly welcome to support our release here
>>> http://markmail.org/message/azenwwlcfhnxmysf
>>>

>>> --
>>> With best regards / с наилучшими пожеланиями,
>>> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
>>> http://dataved.ru/
>>> +7 916 562 8095

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Approve Openmeetings (Incubating) release

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
+1 (binding)

I notice you've done lots of ASF compliance-related work recently, going through 4 release candidates. Really appreciate your patience and resolve to get things right. Using Rat and scanning through the distro I couldn't find any new holes in the current iteration. Also just noticed that Red5 is ASF licensed now, which I am sure makes everyone in OM community happy :)

Andrus

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Alexei Fedotov
<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Openmeetings community voted on and has approved a proposal to release
> Openmeetings 2.0. Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation
> Policy and with the endorsement of two of our mentors we would now
> like to request the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the
> release on the Download page.

+1 to release.

Reviewed the artifact in [1] with MD5 checksum a1cad939f5b7f833886da2d5d615cbd8.

Some notes:

* It's typical for release tarballs to put all their contents under a
top-level folder that matches the name of the tarball.

* The lib/ivy-2.2.0.jar is a bit of a borderline case in terms of the
recent discussion about binaries in source archives [2]. Instead of
distributing Ivy as a part of your source releases, it would be better
to either point users to Ivy installation instructions in [3] or to
use the automatic installation script from that page.

* My test build failed trying to svn checkout stuff from red5 trunk.

* The LICENSE file mentions both CDDL and GPL for various
dual-licensed dependencies. It might be better if you only listed CDDL
for such cases, or at least clearly marked CDDL as the license under
which the ASF is redistributing those bits.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~sebawagner/2.0RC4/apache-openmeetings-incubating-2.0.0.r1361497-14-07-2012_1108-src.tar.gz
[2] http://markmail.org/message/hn4xhwmvwlyiw44v
[3] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/install.html

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.