Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/05/31 18:53:59 UTC

Nearing testing complete ... what should the release name be and next steps

There has been lots of work going on to get Geronimo 2.0 certified
and it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is not an
oncoming train but the other side :)  With that we're also at the
point of cutting a milestone since we're at the end of May.  Given
that all possible assemblies won't be fully tested what do folks
think about the name of the release and what will it contain?  Also,
when is a branch appropriate?

I was thinking geronimo-tomcat-jee5-2.0-M6.  This would include
Tomcat, CXF and OpenJPA as the components.  The M6 indicates a work
in progress but allows us to claim a specific release as certified
and allows us to continue knocking off the corners for performance,
footprint, etc.

It would also seem about right to branch into branches/2.0 at this
time as we finish the other work.

What do others think?

Matt

Re: Nearing testing complete ... what should the release name be and next steps

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Matt,

Sounds good.  We should coordinate with the other projects to be sure we
can get stable versions of their artifacts as well.

Jeff

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Yep. We should.

What say we branch 2.0-M6 now for both Tomcat and Jetty (end of a
month, regular milestone release) and then branch again soon after
certification for Tomcat alone with an appropriate label (say
geronimo-tomcat-jee5-2.0-beta, or geronimo-tomcat-jee5-2.0-certified )
?

Cheers
Prasad.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, let's keep releasing early and often.
I'll start looking into the release notes, will shoot a separate email on this.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
My bad, I was asking two questions but was not clear.  One was
branching (which was really a discuss on when do we do that) and the
other was release naming.  After re-reading the thread I see the
error of my ways and repent in dust and ashes.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Hi Matt,

I completely agree with your take.  This has been how we have done this
in the past.  This is just M6, not final, and its what we have been
doing.  So you have my vote for making the branch now...I think its a
great time to do it.

Jeff

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
+1

-Donald

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 31, 2007, at 1:56 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> On May 31, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> There has been lots of work going on to get Geronimo 2.0 certified
>> and it seems like the light at the end of the tunnel is not an
>> oncoming train but the other side :)  With that we're also at the
>> point of cutting a milestone since we're at the end of May.  Given
>> that all possible assemblies won't be fully tested what do folks
>> think about the name of the release and what will it contain?
>> Also, when is a branch appropriate?
>>
>> I was thinking geronimo-tomcat-jee5-2.0-M6.  This would include
>> Tomcat, CXF and OpenJPA as the components.  The M6 indicates a
>> work in progress but allows us to claim a specific release as
>> certified and allows us to continue knocking off the corners for
>> performance, footprint, etc.
>
> Why not also a jetty assembly?  Unless there are really significant
> problems I'd be in favor of waiting a couple days and getting both
> platforms out at the same time.

I'm good with an -M6. I would think we release our normal assemblies.
We'd just advertise which assemblies had passed CTS. As new assembly
combinations pass CTS, we can release new Mx's...

>> It would also seem about right to branch into branches/2.0 at this
>> time as we finish the other work.
>>
>> What do others think?
>>

> I have a significant security refactoring I've been working on that
> I would like to get into the next 2.0 official whatever (milestone,
> snapshot, release...) since it is not backwards compatible.  It
> affects how default subjects and run-as subjects are constructed
> and will finish the JACC plugability work.  I'll try to get
> something out today describing how it works in more detail.

Understand your concern. I'll look for your description. And will
work to help you achieve it. However, I'm perfectly fine with a
milestone release which is incompatible with the next milestone (or
full) release.

IMO, there are a lot of people (yourself included) who have been
doing some great work in Geronimo, OpenEJB, CXF, etc to get us to
this point... IMO, they'll deserve a day in the sun to celebrate a
bit. But after that *one* day in the sun ;-), we can continue working
on resolving additional issues (e.g. Jetty), and work on polishing
off a 2.0 release.

--kevan

Re: Nearing testing complete ... what should the release name be and next steps

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.