Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com> on 2011/03/29 16:38:41 UTC

hole in META

 Hi
Using hbase-0.20.6..This has happened quite often..Is this a known issue in 0.20.6 that
we would n't see in 0.90.1 (or) see less of?
..Attempt to fix/avoid this earlier times by truncating table, running add_table.rb before

What is the best way to fix this in 0.20.6? Now it's there in more tables that I cannot afford to lose the data
Running add_table.rb increases # of regions (which we already are way over the limit 25K+)

thanks

Re: hole in META

Posted by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com>.
Way too many rows...It'll take a very long time..so have n't tried

Posted by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com>.
Yeah...excise_regions seem to work
but plug_hole does n't plug the hole..thinks the region still exists in META

May be the issue is with excise_regions..& does n't cleanly remove it..

I also tried

/hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.Merge <tbl_name> <region> <region>

That does n't work for me in 0.20.6..
What are the region parameters? I tried encoded nam it did n't like..I tried name of the form
tbl_name,st_key,####,

That did n't work either..
thanks

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: hole in META

=

Re: hole in META

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: hole in META

Posted by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com>.

Re: hole in META

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: hole in META

Re: hole in META

Posted by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com>.
Thanks St. Ack

The issue I have with missing jar is I got FileNotFoundException for hadoop-core*.jar..I tried with *append.jar..
Still same issue..I bet it's env issue..So i wanted to try in a diff env which I've never gotten around to.

yes..add_table.rb does work (fixes holes)..but it increases the # of regions which is the down side..
(we are already way over recommended limit 2800 regions per node)

Re: hole in META

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: hole in META

Posted by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com>.
Thanks. St.Ack
Yeah...I'm eager to upgrade

I had to make one small change to HBase client API to use the new version..

 I ran into missing jar with hadoop jar file when running a map reduce..which i could n't fix it..That is the only known issue with upgrade
If I can fix that, i'll upgrade

BTW, is it better to fix existing holes using add_table.rb before the upgrade? (or) upgrade takes care missing holes?

> What is the best way to fix this in 0.20.6?

Move to 0.90.1 to avoid holes in .META. and to avoid losing data.  Let

us know if we can help you with upgrade.

St.Ack

Re: hole in META

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.