Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dana Holland <da...@navarrocollege.edu> on 2004/07/19 17:38:56 UTC

very slow response times

At times our server takes quite a while to process incoming email - it's
not at all unusual for an email to take a couple of hours or more to get
through the system from the time it hits the server.  Local email may
take as much as 5 minutes.  I'm just wondering if an increase in RAM on
the server might help with this.  There's definitely been a slowdown
since we installed spamassassin.

Our server is running RedHat Linux 8.09, with 2gb of RAM - we're running
sendmail 8.13.

Re: very slow response times

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, July 19, 2004, 8:38:56 AM, Dana Holland wrote:
> At times our server takes quite a while to process incoming email - it's
> not at all unusual for an email to take a couple of hours or more to get
> through the system from the time it hits the server.  Local email may
> take as much as 5 minutes.  I'm just wondering if an increase in RAM on
> the server might help with this.  There's definitely been a slowdown
> since we installed spamassassin.

> Our server is running RedHat Linux 8.09, with 2gb of RAM - we're running
> sendmail 8.13.

Are you perchance using BigEvil.cf?  If you see Chris' threads
you will notice it's gotten very large, large enough that it
chokes Chris' own mail server, and he can't use it any more.

If so, then using ws.surbl.org instead will speed things up
considerably.

  http://www.surbl.org/

It would be quite useful to know more details about your mail
server like what versions of SA, what plugins, how much daily
mail volume, anything else the server is running, etc.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org