Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by stockii <st...@shopgate.com> on 2010/06/02 15:59:31 UTC

Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Hello.

Our Server is a 8-Core Server with 12 GB RAM.
Solr is running with 4 Cores.

55 Tomcat 5.5 processes are running. ist this normal ???

htop show me a list of these processes of the server. and tomcat have about
55.
every process using:
/usr/share/java/commons-daemon.jar:/usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin/bootstrap.jar.....

is this normal ?

Re: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
You'd need to search explanations for this at generic java forums.
It's the same with any java process on Linux.
In the Unix family Solaris and MacOSX do it better, fortunately and is
probably due to the very old time where the Linux java was a
translation of the Solaris java with the special features implemented
when it was not found in Linux (e.g. green-threads).

paul

Posted by stockii <st...@shopgate.com>.

Posted by stockii <st...@shopgate.com>.
oha... "ps aux" shows only 3 processes from tomcat55.

but why show htop 55 ? close the garbage collector these not ?

RE: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Posted by Patrick Wilson <PW...@r2integrated.com>.
Maybe he was looking at the output from top or htop?

Posted by Patrick Wilson <PW...@r2integrated.com>.
Try shutting tomcat down instead of restarting. If processes remain, then I'd say further investigation is warranted. If no processes remain, then I think it's safe to disregard unless you notice any problems.

Posted by stockii <st...@shopgate.com>.
okay you are right. thats all threads and no processes ...
but so many ? :D hehe

so when all the "processes" are threads i think its okay so ?! i can ignore
this ... XD

Re: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Le 02-juin-10 à 16:57, stockii a écrit :

> all the process in in htop show, have a own PID. so thats are no
> threads ?

No, you can't say that.
In general it is sufficient for the "mother process" to be killed but
it can take several attempts.

> i restart my tomcat via " /etc/init.d/tomcat restart "
> do you think that after ervery resart the processes arent closed ?

after bin/shutdown.sh it is very common to me that some hanging
threads remain... and we crafted my little script snippet (which is
kind of specific) to actually prevent this and kill... after a while
only.

it's not optimal.

paul

Re: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Posted by stockii <st...@shopgate.com>.

Posted by Michael Kuhlmann <mi...@zalando.de>.
Am 02.06.2010 16:39, schrieb Paul Libbrecht:
> This is impressive, I had this in any Linux I've been using: SuSE,
> Ubuntu, Debian, Mandrake, ...
> Maybe there's some modern JDK with a modern Linux where it doesn't happen?
> It surely is not one process per thread though.

I'm not a linux thread expert, but from what I know Linux doesn't know
lightweight threads as other systems do. Instead it uses processes for that.

But these processes aren't "top level" processes that show up in top/ps.
Instead, they're grouped hierarchically (AFAIK). Otherwise you would be
able to kill single user threads with their own process id, or kill the
main process and let the spawned threads continue. That would be totally
crazy.

In my configuration, Tomcat doesn't shut down correctly if I call
bin/shutdown.sh, so I have to kill the process manually. I don't know
why. This might be the reason why stockii has 3 Tomcat processes running.

Re: Many Tomcat Processes on Server ?!?!?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Michael Kuhlmann <mi...@zalando.de>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Is your server Linux?
In this case this is very normal.. any java application spawns many
new processes on linux... it's not exactly bound to threads
unfortunately.

And, of course, they all refer to the same invocation path.

paul

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
My guess would be that commons-daemon is somehow thinking that Tomcat has gone down and started up multiple copies...   You only need one Tomcat process for your 4 core Solr instance!   You may have many other WAR applications hosted in Tomcat, I know a lot of places would have 1 tomcat per deployed WAR pattern.

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server
Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal