Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Julia Reynolds <ju...@healthstream.com> on 2001/02/06 17:00:29 UTC

Hacking Servlet Mill

Well, Craig was right and our problems with Struts and Servlet Mill apparently
stem from
the fact that it is Servlet 2.1, not Servlet 2.2 compatible.  Can we just replace
the servlet.jar file in Servlet Mill with the 2.2 servlet.jar?  Is that safe, or
will it
break Servlet Mill?

Julia

Re: Hacking Servlet Mill

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Julia Reynolds wrote:

> Well, Craig was right and our problems with Struts and Servlet Mill apparently
> stem from
> the fact that it is Servlet 2.1, not Servlet 2.2 compatible.  Can we just replace
> the servlet.jar file in Servlet Mill with the 2.2 servlet.jar?  Is that safe, or
> will it
> break Servlet Mill?

Unfortunately, that approach is unlikely to work.

It's not just an issue of having the right servlet API classes (which are mostly
interfaces).  The servlet container has to support all of the required functionality
-- most importantly, it needs to understand what a web application archive (WAR) file
is, which 2.1 based containers don't.

> Julia

Craig