Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in> on 2016/05/08 14:39:28 UTC

Production Ready/Stable DataStax Java Driver

Hi,
Which DataStax Java Driver release is most stable (production ready) for Cassandra 2.1?
ThanksAnuj

Re: Production Ready/Stable DataStax Java Driver

Posted by Alex Popescu <al...@datastax.com>.
On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> As 3.x driver supports all 1.2+ Cassandra versions, I would also like to
> better understand the motivation of having 2.1 releases simultaneously with
> 3.x releases of Java driver.

Hi Anuj,

Both Apache Cassandra and the DataStax drivers are evolving fast with
significant improvements across the board. While we support and provide the
latest and greatest, we do also support the users that are already in
production and allow them enough time to upgrade. Major release are
sometimes introducing breaking changes. That's unfortunate but sometimes
the only way we can push things forward.

I do agree with your assessment 1000% that if starting now, the best
version to go with is the latest on the 3.0 branch.

--
Bests,

Alex Popescu | @al3xandru
Sen. Product Manager @ DataStax

<http://cassandrasummit.org/Email_Signature>

» DataStax Enterprise - the database for cloud applications. «

Re: Production Ready/Stable DataStax Java Driver

Posted by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in>.
Thanks Alex !!
We are starting to use CQL for the first time (using Thrift till now), so I think it makes sense to directly use Java driver 3.0.1 instead of 2.1.10.

As 3.x driver supports all 1.2+ Cassandra versions, I would also like to better understand the motivation of having 2.1 releases simultaneously with 3.x releases of Java driver.
One obvious reason should be the "Breaking changes" in 3.x. So, 2.1.x bug fix releases give some breathing time to existing 2.1 users for getting ready for accomodating those breaking changes in their code instead of forcing them to do those changes at short notice and upgrade to 3.x immediately. Is that understanding correct?

ThanksAnuj
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 8 May, 2016 at 9:01 PM, Alex Popescu<al...@datastax.com> wrote:   Hi Anuj,
All released versions of the DataStax Java driver are production ready:
1. they all go through the complete QA cycle2. we merge all bug fixes and improvements upstream.
Now, if you are asking which is currently the most deployed version, that's 2.1 (latest version 2.1.10.1 [1]).
If you want to be ready for future Cassandra upgrades and benefit of the latest features of the Java driver, thenthat's the 3.0 branch (latest version 3.0.1 [2]).
Last but not least, you should also consider when making the decision that our current focus and main development goes into the 3.x branch and that the 2.1 is in maintenance mode (meaning that no new features will be added and itwill only see critical bug fixes).
Bottom line, if your application is not already developed against the 2.1 version of the Java driver, you should use the latest 3.0 release.

[1]: https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/d/msg/java-driver-user/bYQSUvKQm5k/JduPTt7cGAAJ
[2]: https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/d/msg/java-driver-user/tOWZm4RVbm4/5E_aDAc8IAAJ

Posted by Alex Popescu <al...@datastax.com>.
Hi Anuj,