Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Bimal Mehta <bi...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/04 16:43:04 UTC

NiFi Boot Error

I recently upgraded to NiFi 1.9.0.
However on starting the NiFi service I get the following error

A blank sensitive properties key was provided
Specify a unique key in nifi.properties for nifi.sensitive.props.key

I am not sure about this property. What do I need to do?

Thanks
Bimal Mehta

Re: NiFi Boot Error

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Bimal,

The sensitive keys property specifies a raw value from which the encryption key for sensitive component properties is derived. This is used to protect things like a database password, AWS credentials, etc. that you configure in your flows when they are persisted to the file system. You should populate this property with a long and unique value in your nifi.properties file.

This is documented in the Admin Guide [1][2]. If you have an existing flow with sensitive properties already encrypted using the default empty key, you can migrate them using the NiFi Encrypt Config Toolkit [3].

[1] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#how-to-install-and-start-nifi <https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#how-to-install-and-start-nifi>
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#security_properties <https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#security_properties>
[3] https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/toolkit-guide.html#encrypt_config_tool <https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/toolkit-guide.html#encrypt_config_tool>

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org