Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/24 11:56:11 UTC

Binary distribution on trunk with maven

Hi Steve,

We talked last week about needing to be able to build a distribution
with Maven, since the functionality wasn't there at the time, and I
need to ship some JMS features this week.

You said it shouldn't be a problem to get Maven doing that in time.

The new JMS compatibility features have now been checked into the
trunk and we need to be able to ship it to one of our users here.
He's a new user on a new project so we need him to have a good
experience of the product, as I'm sure you will agree.

Is the Maven distribution functionality ready yet? If not, when will
it be ready?

Since the old Ant build system has been removed from the trunk as part
of the Maven work, this is now a pressing issue.

How should I proceed?

Thanks
Robert

Re: Binary distribution on trunk with maven

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 24/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Steve Vinoski wrote:
>
> > On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Robert Greig wrote:
> >> Is it easy to generate a zip of all the "client" stuff, i.e. the
> >> qpid-client-* jar plus its dependencies?
> >
> > We could do that. We'd need to write a new assembly file under
> > distribution/src/main/assembly.
>
> More specifically, if someone can point me to what exactly should be
> included, i.e., which qpid jars, which startup scripts, etc., then
> I'll build this assembly file, no problem.

The binary distro is working fine now, thanks.

I have attached a list of what is included in the client distribution
in M1. It basically bundles the common and client dependencies, plus
javadoc. One problem with it is that it pulls in too many dependencies
because we have some things in common that are not in fact used by the
client (and should never be IMO). It also lacks any examples. So maybe
not quite perfect....

RG

Re: Binary distribution on trunk with maven

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Nov 24, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Steve Vinoski wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Robert Greig wrote:
>> Is it easy to generate a zip of all the "client" stuff, i.e. the
>> qpid-client-* jar plus its dependencies?
>
> We could do that. We'd need to write a new assembly file under
> distribution/src/main/assembly.

More specifically, if someone can point me to what exactly should be
included, i.e., which qpid jars, which startup scripts, etc., then
I'll build this assembly file, no problem.

--steve

Re: Binary distribution on trunk with maven

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Robert Greig wrote:

> On 24/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert, I had done this on my branch for the UNIX side but not for
>> the Windows side, and missed bring those changes over to trunk. I
>> just now committed changes for both. Give it a try and let me know
>> how it goes.
>
> Excellent. I just tried it and it worked on Windows.
>
> The only problem was that qpid-incubating.jar was not included in the
> zip - it was left in the target directory (i.e. same target directory
> as the zip). Is it supposed to be part of the zip? I obviously just
> copied it manually into the lib directory of the extracted archive.

There was a problem with the jar name in the binary assembly file.
Just svn update to pick it up, then rerun maven, and the jar will be
in the right place.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 24/11/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:

> The distribution mvn build already builds one of these -- it's named
> qpid-incubating.jar. I think all this requires is fixing the Windows
> scripts to use that jar name, right?

Aha! I did not realise that. I will give it a whirl (probably later
tonight) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
RG

Re: Binary distribution on trunk with maven

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.