Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Steven Lloyd Wilson <sl...@wisc.edu> on 2013/10/22 04:03:16 UTC

Data question

Hello,

I first emailed the media contact with Apache and he recommended that I
resend to this list, with a somewhat unorthodox request for
information/direction.

I'm a PhD student writing a dissertation on the effects of the Internet
on politics around the world. One of the variables that I'm looking at
is how technically literate the populations of different countries are.
The way I'm measuring this is through a variety of sources getting at
open source downloads, usage of open source software, etc.

I've found some excellent information on Apache's site, including the
map of where contributors are located, so I think that somewhere behind
the scenes should be the specific data that I'm looking for: the numbers
of download for each project, number of contributors, number of mirrors,
etc. by year and country, since the start of the Apache Foundation.

Could you point me in the right direction on this matter?

Thanks!
Steven Wilson
PhD Candidate in Political Science
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Re: Data question

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 25 October 2013 05:59, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Sounds like an interesting challenge, but I still wonder what conclusions
> you can really draw.  If two PhD students happen to choose the same thesis
> topic and spend the same number of days writing their theses and somehow
> write the exact same thesis, but one saves drafts to a central server
> along the way while the other just keeps local backups and only delivers
> the final draft, was one really more active than the other?  The first one
> will show more "commits".

Exactly, that happened when I did the analysis on the AOO project. One of
the web translators showed up as the most active person, because every
single file was a commit, while the person who developed a very big
feature, at least 5 month of work offline, only had a single commit with a
100 files or more.

In my opinion you cannot use these figures for type of compare. But the
idea of looking at the ML is not bad it will show a lot more how the
communities are active. Cross referece an extract from MLs with people.a.o
and you do have a "community activity level" for each country.

rgds
jan I.

Re: Data question

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On 25 Oct 2013, at 07:32, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 25 October 2013 05:51, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> And, all commits go to publicly archived commit lists, no? Meaning if
>> you engage with mailing lists, you get access to commit activity for
>> free.
>>
> yes, thats the (for our bandwidth) free way of doing this, another is to
> "svn log" with a couple of options on the top of the repos.

Please don’t ever do this. Take the dump from http://svn-master.apache.org/dump/ and use that locally - else you will add unnecessary load on eris/harmonia.

Jan, please refrain from telling people who are mining for data from using the live host, the dump file is there for a reason (so that we don’t have to sustain high IO on the live nodes).

>> The only missing part though is geography, knowing where in the world a
>> committer is, and with the advent of powerful web mail services, this
>> gets harder still, unless the committer publishes a FOAF file (I think
>> that's what it is called?)
>>

> thats the name, and part of it (the part you need) is available on
> people.a.o, f.x. take the google map (google produces a file with all the
> markers) or go through http://people.apache.org/committers.html
>
> both ways will work, but you need to do the data mining, the data wont be
> served on a silver plate :-)
>
> rgds
> jan I
>

>> Upayavira

>> slwilson4@wisc.edu

>>> As I tried to explain, you will get data that cannot be compared
>>> statistically. But of course it still gives an indication of activity
>>> level.
>>>
>>> These data are not back-end data, the apache project repos are publicly
>>> available, making it is possible for you to extract the repo log data.
>>> You
>>> need to cross reference the log data with data from people.apache.org.

>> devel

>> avoid
>>>>

>>> This is a very good approach, when looking for activity levels, because
>>> it
>>> includes QA, documentation and all the items around the programming.
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, to my best knowledge, we dont have much better data
>>> internally, and as PCtony wrote, we would need extremely good reasons to
>>> provide information, which committers have chosen not to make publicly
>>> available.
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> jan I.

>> population,
>> measures,

>> private,

>> country,

>> value

>> active
>> these

>> of
>> collect

>> it
>> release
>> found
>> personal
>> public

>> you to
>> can
>> this
>> data.

>> slwilson4@wisc.edu>

>> looking
>> are.
>> at

>> including
>> numbers

Cheers,
Tony

----------------------------------
Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com
pctony@apache.org

http://www.pc-tony.com

GPG - 1024D/51047D66
----------------------------------

Re: Data question

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Data question

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Data question

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Data question

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Data question

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Data question

Posted by Steven Lloyd Wilson <sl...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Jan,

Re: Data question

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> Steven,
>
> Some of this information won't be so easy to get.  For example we cannot tell you how many downloads each project has had, as almost all of that data is held locally by the mirrors and we don't currently collect it.

One exception is the Apache OpenOffice, where we distribute install
sets primarily via the SourceForge network.  In that case we do have
daily download numbers, including breakdown by country, operating
system, etc.   A summary report of downloads by country is here:

http://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html

SourceForge also has a REST API that you can query to generate other reports.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Data question

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.