Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by William Martin <ma...@adelphia.net> on 2003/01/03 21:31:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Port Number and Aldephia user?

Again, please forgive me for asking another stupid question  as I have been
told by someone but I feel the only stupid question is the one that isn't
ask.

As of now, I'm in the midth of setting up my Apache server 2.0.43, in the
httpd.conf  I see a entry is set at:

#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
  Listen 80

As I understand it, the request by internet users is directed to Port 80.
What I have noticed in some of the emails from this group that if you have a
server that is blocking port 80 then you need to set it to 8080 to by pass
it. My question is, can you use any other number for a port instead of 8080.
For example.. like 500 or 5000?

Also, I  have another question.. Is there anyone in the group that is using
Aldephia to connect to Internet and have their own http server on their home
computer that Internet users can access to?  I am having all kind of trouble
getting mine to work here.

William

Re: [users@httpd] Port Number and Aldephia user?

Posted by Renato Salles <ma...@brturbo.com>.
Of course you can't.
Ask to a friend or search at the net (google) well known services - you
can get it from /etc/services at some Linux server.
You may use any (almost) port not listed there.
For your previous post (not cross-posting) go to www.no-ip.com and add a
web redirect to your server from ex.: server1.no-ip.com:80 to
server2.no-ip.com:12080
rsalles

Posted by Terra Info <in...@terranovum.com>.
Yup, it gave the default setup screen.
Happy web publishing.

William Martin wrote:

>Thanks IOD and Rick!!
>
>I think I got it working now. I can open it from my computer and I had one
>of my brothers to check it out for me from his computer on AOL, although he
>is 3 blocks from me locally, I would like to have someone here who is out of
>my local area to check it out and see if the Apache successful installation
>page open up.   Any suggestions on removing the trailing port number on the
>url would be greatly appreciates.
>
>http://68.69.8.84:1050/
>
>Thanks for all the help!
>
>William

Terra Novum Research
info@terranovum.com
www.terranovum.com
(617) 923-4132

PO Box 362
Watertown, MA 02471-0362

I'll give you answers
to the questions you have yet to ask,
silence is beauty,
words they only complicate the task.

Re: [users@httpd] Port Number and Aldephia user?

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
William Martin wrote:

> Thanks IOD and Rick!!
>
> I think I got it working now. I can open it from my computer and I had one
> of my brothers to check it out for me from his computer on AOL, although he
> is 3 blocks from me locally, I would like to have someone here who is out of
> my local area to check it out and see if the Apache successful installation
> page open up.   Any suggestions on removing the trailing port number on the
> url would be greatly appreciates.
>
> http://68.69.8.84:1050/

                                  Welcome
                        William Martin’s