Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 12:05:52 UTC

Re: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

Andreas

Not yet. Tempted to help?

Paul

On 1/22/08, Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Are there plans in Axis or Synapse to create a transport that
> leverages the asynchronous NIO support built into Tomcat 6 (Comet,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html)?
>
> Andreas
>
> Quoting Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Ron
> >
> > The data is a bit out-of-date. Basically, we don't recommend using
> > servlet transports for high-volume situations, tho they are fine for
> > low-volume (i.e. where the number of concurrent incoming connections
> > is always less than the thread pool size). However, using the NIO
> > transport under Tomcat is completely supported and production ready.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Jan 18, 2008 8:59 PM,  <Ro...@metavante.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Tomcat server in place that has Axis2 deployed on it, as well as a
> >> few other web applications. Ideally, I'd like to deploy Synapse on that
> >> same Tomcat server. I've researched it and found mention that deploying
> >> Synapse on Tomcat is not recommended. Some of those posts were maybe 6
> >> months old. Is this still the case? That deploying on Tomcat is not
> >> recommended?
> >>
> >> Ron
> >> This message contains confidential and proprietary information of the
> >> sender, and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed.
> >> Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is
> >> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
> >> notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original message
> >> without making a copy.

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> >
> > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Fwd: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Comet transport [Was: Re: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?]

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
Paul,

I looked into it and I think that implementing this should not be too
difficult. The reason is that a CometProcessor servlet pretty much
uses the same API as a normal servlet (i.e. HttpServletRequest/
Response with Input/OutputStream). The difference is in the way the
servlet is invoked. Therefore the implementation could reuse a large
part of the code in the existing AxisServlet. As you know, one can
reuse code either by copy & paste or introducing appropriate
abstractions. Since the first alternative is not really an option, we
would have to refactor some parts of AxisServlet so that it becomes
reusable for a CometProcessor implementation. Therefore we would need
somebody who is familiar with the code and who is willing to take the
responsibility to make the necessary changes (knowing that AxisServlet
is one of the core components of the framework).

Andreas

Re: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Kumaran
> We have planned to use synapse as proxy layer. what is the best strategy
> of synapse deployment in production. There is no documentation available
> for this and a lot of confusion in choosing this product.
>
> In general the production environment will have DMZ1(Dematerialized
> zone)/DMZ2/WAN zones.
>
> DMZ-1 - Web server instances (will contain static files)
> DMZ-2 - Application Server instances
> WAN   - Services deployed
>
> I thought of deploying the synapse.war on websphere application server
> on DMZ-2 zone, so the webserver will communicate to AppServer through
> websphere plugin with Loadbalancing/failover.

Is this a plugin to your httpd (Apache WebServer) that you are referring to?
> But synapse provides NIO based http service. How the communication could
> be achieved between webserver and synapse server.

You should be able to use standard Apache proxy configurations to
achieve this.. You should be able to find plenty of information for this
from Google. The fact that the Synapse transports use NIO and are
non-blocking is totally transparent to a client of Synapse and a server
to which Synapse calls.

asankha

Re: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Kumaran

RE: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

> Are there plans in Axis or Synapse to create a transport that
> leverages the asynchronous NIO support built into Tomcat 6 (Comet,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html)?
>
> Andreas
>
> Quoting Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Ron
> >
> > The data is a bit out-of-date. Basically, we don't recommend using
> > servlet transports for high-volume situations, tho they are fine for
> > low-volume (i.e. where the number of concurrent incoming connections
> > is always less than the thread pool size). However, using the NIO
> > transport under Tomcat is completely supported and production ready.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Jan 18, 2008 8:59 PM,  <Ro...@metavante.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Tomcat server in place that has Axis2 deployed on it, as
well as a
> >> few other web applications. Ideally, I'd like to deploy Synapse on
that
> >> same Tomcat server. I've researched it and found mention that
deploying
> >> Synapse on Tomcat is not recommended. Some of those posts were
maybe 6
> >> months old. Is this still the case? That deploying on Tomcat is not
> >> recommended?
> >>
> >> Ron

> >> This message contains confidential and proprietary information of
the
> >> sender, and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed.
> >> Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is
> >> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please
> >> notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original
message
> >> without making a copy.

> >> For additional commands, e-mail: synapse-user-help@ws.apache.org
> >>

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> >
> > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
Paul,

RE: Deploy Synapse on Tomcat?

> Are there plans in Axis or Synapse to create a transport that
> leverages the asynchronous NIO support built into Tomcat 6 (Comet,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html)?
>
> Andreas
>
> Quoting Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Ron
> >
> > The data is a bit out-of-date. Basically, we don't recommend using
> > servlet transports for high-volume situations, tho they are fine for
> > low-volume (i.e. where the number of concurrent incoming connections
> > is always less than the thread pool size). However, using the NIO
> > transport under Tomcat is completely supported and production ready.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On Jan 18, 2008 8:59 PM,  <Ro...@metavante.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a Tomcat server in place that has Axis2 deployed on it, as
well as a
> >> few other web applications. Ideally, I'd like to deploy Synapse on
that
> >> same Tomcat server. I've researched it and found mention that
deploying
> >> Synapse on Tomcat is not recommended. Some of those posts were
maybe 6
> >> months old. Is this still the case? That deploying on Tomcat is not
> >> recommended?
> >>
> >> Ron

> >> This message contains confidential and proprietary information of
the
> >> sender, and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed.
> >> Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is
> >> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please
> >> notify the e-mail sender immediately, and delete the original
message
> >> without making a copy.

> >> For additional commands, e-mail: synapse-user-help@ws.apache.org
> >>

> > --
> > Paul Fremantle
> > Co-Founder and VP of Technical Sales, WSO2
> > OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
> >
> > blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> > paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle