Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com> on 2005/08/06 02:34:26 UTC

Using Message Resources with Tiles?

I can't imagine that this question has not been asked before, but I could
not dig up answers in the mail archives or the online documentation.  I
apologize in advance if there is an obvious answer that I do not see.

Instead of embedding a text value in my tiles definition file like this:

<definition name="default-layout" path="/pages/default-layout.jsp">
	<put name="window-title" value="The title of the window here"/>
</definition>

I want it to reference the text from the message resources I have already
defined in my MessageResources.properties file:

main.window.title=The title of the window here

Maybe with something like this:

<definition name="default-layout" path="/pages/default-layout.jsp">
	<put name="window-title" value="main.window.title"/>
</definition>

Is there a way to do this?  I'd rather have all of my localizable text in
one place, namely the message properties file.  There should be a way to
reference strings from the message properties files by key...right?

I was expecting to find an attribute on the tiles:getAsString jsp tag.
Something like:

<tiles:getAsString name="window-title" useAsMessageKey="true"/>

or

<tiles:getAsString messageKey="window-title"/>

Like I said, I have to believe that this has come up as a question before.
I hope there is a good answer.

Thanks,
-Mark

Multiple Input Bean

Posted by Tony Smith <qu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Suppose I have a UserBean:

class UserBean{
    String name,
    String address,

    public String getName()
}

In one jsp page, I want to input multiple people beans
and send back to server. The jsp UI is something like:

People 1:
Name [         ] address [        ]
People 2:
Name [         ] address [        ]
People 3:
Name [         ] address [        ]

[Submit Button]

How do I design my ActionForm and Action?

RE: Using Message Resources with Tiles?

Posted by Mark Womack <wo...@adobe.com>.
JSTL makes this possible.  I am surprised this feature was not built into
tiles at some point without requiring JSTL.

Thank you for the reply and answer.  Much appreciated.

-Mark

Posted by Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>.

Mark Womack wrote:

>I can't imagine that this question has not been asked before, but I could
>not dig up answers in the mail archives or the online documentation.  I
>apologize in advance if there is an obvious answer that I do not see.
>
>Instead of embedding a text value in my tiles definition file like this:
>
><definition name="default-layout" path="/pages/default-layout.jsp">
>	<put name="window-title" value="The title of the window here"/>
></definition>
>
>I want it to reference the text from the message resources I have already
>defined in my MessageResources.properties file:
>
>main.window.title=The title of the window here
>
>Maybe with something like this:
>
><definition name="default-layout" path="/pages/default-layout.jsp">
>	<put name="window-title" value="main.window.title"/>
></definition>
>
>Is there a way to do this?  I'd rather have all of my localizable text in
>one place, namely the message properties file.  There should be a way to
>reference strings from the message properties files by key...right?
>
>I was expecting to find an attribute on the tiles:getAsString jsp tag.
>Something like:
>
><tiles:getAsString name="window-title" useAsMessageKey="true"/>
>
>or
>
><tiles:getAsString messageKey="window-title"/>
>
>Like I said, I have to believe that this has come up as a question before.
>I hope there is a good answer.
>
>Thanks,
>-Mark

Jason Lea