Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by amit mehta <gm...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/08 23:33:27 UTC

Re: Bluetooth development test setup/workflow

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org> wrote:
> I also use LightBlue on MacOS and find it pretty useful.  Unfortunately,
> the mac version doesn't appear to support peripheral mode.
>
> On Android devices, I use an app from Nordic called nRF Connect.

New to the community and had this same query. Glad to see, that
it's already discussed. I plan to use this same app from Nordic as
I have a nRF52 DK

> Finally, for when I really need to see exactly what's happening, I use
> a Mynewt device running the bletiny app.  Bletiny gives you a lot of
> control, and with full logging enabled, you can usually determine
> exactly what a peer device is doing.

So, I should be able to load this bletiny app on my nRF52 DK and
do some experiments with the NimBLE stack ?

> All that said, probably the most useful BLE development tool I've used
> is the Ellisys sniffer.  They are quite expensive, but extremely
> powerful.

nRF sniffer [1] (just a normal nRF51 based Dev kit with Nordic provided
firmware + wireshark) is also quite helpful.

[1] https://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/Bluetooth-low-energy/nRF-Sniffer

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Bluetooth development test setup/workflow

Posted by Jacob Rosenthal <ja...@gmail.com>.
I use the nrf51 as well, but not in windows and wireshark supports the pipe
without plugins now as of 2.3.0

The adafruit python script is pretty good, but didnt have pipe support,
heres my PR
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_BLESniffer_Python/pull/14

and heres a gist of me using it
https://gist.github.com/jacobrosenthal/6f36eea3653bacaeae23152cb4941c48

I think an inherent in the original post is anyone have a workflow for
native development with blehci instead of flashing which also easily ports
back over to device with say a target change? Seems like all the bits are
there.