Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by kgoderis <ka...@me.com> on 2016/07/02 07:41:37 UTC

Karaf console becoming unresponsve

Hi,

I use Karaf as part of the openHAB project. Very often the Karaf console
becomes very unresponsive, or halts completely. This happens often already
after the initial start-up of the runtime on the console session that is
starting the runtime, but then I can still log into karaf by means of a new
ssh session to the host.

However, after a while that is not even possible anymore: a new session can
be initiated (and is logged):

2016-07-02 09:30:52.101 [INFO ] [he.sshd.server.session.ServerSession] -
Server session created from /192.168.0.200:57921
2016-07-02 09:30:53.910 [INFO ] [server.session.ServerUserAuthService] -
Session karaf@/192.168.0.200:57921 authenticated

but in the terminal session everything hangs, e.g. after entering the
password I don't even land in the console itself.

What could be the cause of this behaviour?

Re: Karaf console becoming unresponsve

Posted by kgoderis <ka...@me.com>.
> On 02 Jul 2016, at 09:54, jbonofre [via Karaf] <ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
>
> So, you mean that you don't install new bundles or features in Karaf,
> and at some point, you are not able to connect via ssh. Correct ?

Indeed.

I did install a bunch of bundles/features - as they come with openHAB - but after that , just starting up the runtime and not doing anything at all (and let things run) leads to the given situation. It sounds like a resource problem of some kind….

Re: Karaf console becoming unresponsve

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
So, you mean that you don't install new bundles or features in Karaf,
and at some point, you are not able to connect via ssh. Correct ?

Regards
JB

On 07/02/2016 09:53 AM, kgoderis wrote:
> Thanks for the swift reply. I am new to Karaf so I will do my best to answer you ;-)
>

>> Don't you have a refresh triggered by a feature you install ?
>
> I have not installed new features \u2018recently\u2019, but can I resolve it by triggering an \u2018update\u2019 of all features somehow?
>

>> What's your Karaf version ?
>
> 4.0.4
>
>> Do you use auth by key ?
>>

> yes
>
> KR
> Karel.

Jean-Baptiste Onofr�
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Karaf console becoming unresponsve

Posted by kgoderis <ka...@me.com>.
Thanks for the swift reply. I am new to Karaf so I will do my best to answer you ;-)

> Don't you have a refresh triggered by a feature you install ?

I have not installed new features ‘recently’, but can I resolve it by triggering an ‘update’ of all features somehow?

> What's your Karaf version ?

4.0.4

> Do you use auth by key ?

yes

KR
Karel.

Re: Karaf console becoming unresponsve

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

On 07/02/2016 09:41 AM, kgoderis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Karaf as part of the openHAB project. Very often the Karaf console
> becomes very unresponsive, or halts completely. This happens often already
> after the initial start-up of the runtime on the console session that is
> starting the runtime, but then I can still log into karaf by means of a new
> ssh session to the host.
>
> However, after a while that is not even possible anymore: a new session can
> be initiated (and is logged):
>
> 2016-07-02 09:30:52.101 [INFO ] [he.sshd.server.session.ServerSession] -
> Server session created from /192.168.0.200:57921
> 2016-07-02 09:30:53.910 [INFO ] [server.session.ServerUserAuthService] -
> Session karaf@/192.168.0.200:57921 authenticated
>
> but in the terminal session everything hangs, e.g. after entering the
> password I don't even land in the console itself.
>
> What could be the cause of this behaviour?

Jean-Baptiste Onofr
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com