Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by drubix <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/07 09:19:45 UTC

Increasing Memory Usage

Hi,

I'm running a distributed test all on one system (to take advantage of IP
aliasing) with one thread per instance of JMeter.  When I watch the
processes with top on my RH Linux box, the memory usage of each JMeter
instance seems to be rising dramatically over time.  The same number of
threads running for 5 mins uses around 1.5GB of memory total by the end of
the run but when running for 30 mins ends up using closer to 4GB.

I'm using the HTTPClient for all calls so that should be avoiding the HTTPS
memory leak (only using HTTPS during the initial log on step anyway) and I
have no listeners running (I'm running in non-GUI mode using the -l switch).
I'm also using the default mode so that each sample is reported to the
master - the slave instances themselves shouldn't really be storing any more
information than just the cookies, should they?

Is there any other reason why the memory growth would be as it is?

Thanks,

Drew

Re: Increasing Memory Usage

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/05/2009, drubix <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I've got 3 HTTPClient Samplers which make the requests then I've got 2 test
>  actions (for think times), a couple of simple controllers to signify
>  grouping (I cut this small section out of a much larger test plan), a loop
>  controller and a few config elements (User Defined Variables, HTTP Request
>  Defaults and HTTP Cookie Manager).  All of these are in a Thread Group.
>
>  I can't figure out why so much memory would be used for just a single
>  thread, jmeter overhead isn't that much, surely?  Especially when running in
>  non-GUI mode.

Neither can I - that sounds like a small test plan.

If there's nothing private in the plan, perhaps you could send me a
copy privately? (not to the list). Redact any passwords etc first.

Are you using any functions?

Forgot to ask earlier, which version of JMeter and Java are you using?

Re: Increasing Memory Usage

Posted by drubix <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Increasing Memory Usage

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.