Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/30 11:31:49 UTC

What to do about ${parent.groupId} a.k.a. MVERSIONS-200

I am interested in other peoples thoughts with respect to

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MVERSIONS-200

Basically, if you have the old deprecated expressions like
${parent.groupId} in your poms, then it blows up.

My question is should I add support for these expressions (and then remove
it again at some point in the future), or leave it blowing up and say "nah
nah nah nah nah... you were warned... go fix your poms anyway".

Don't really want to have a version of the plugin that won't work correctly
with future versions of Maven, so adding support for expressions that may
be removed in an unknown future version of Maven would not seem like a bad
plan... on the other hand, users expect that if Maven builds it
versions-maven-plugin can change the version!

-Stephen