Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/03/11 08:19:55 UTC

Brainstorming about the Framework: Logic Tier

If you could change anything about the logic tier in OFBiz (basically the Service Engine, services written in simple-methods and Java; also less formal logic like the many *Worker and *Helper classes), what would you change?

All comments are welcome. If there is another tool you'd like to see used instead of the Service Engine, please describe what you like about it (like "I prefer the freedom of unrestricted Java or Groovy instead of more restrictive servers" or "I like groovy a lot more than simple-methods because groovy is so much prettier") instead of just mentioning the tool (like "let's use groovy for everything like Grails does!").

Why am I asking? This topic comes up every once in a while, and it's true that many suggestions never get enough support to actually happen (or on further research it is decided that the idea is not tenable), but brainstorming about them to get ideas in the open is still a great thing. The history of OFBiz is full of things like this where users and more casual contributors had ideas and saw possibilities that others, even more involved contributors, totally missed or never looked at that way. What I think would be fun, and ultimately useful too, is to keep this mostly to brainstorming and not do too much comparing of ideas.

BTW, if you want to brainstorm about another tier (ie the Data or UI tiers) please use the other threads on those. If you'd like to discuss things that aren't specific to a tier look for the "General" thread.

-David

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: Logic Tier

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David:
Changes to the Service Engine: the SECAs. I've had problems with the
serial nature of SECAs. Maybe I don't fully understand how they work,
but perhaps a graphical tool that takes an SECA chain, and draws each
participating Service?

And yes, the whole XML thing bothers me. But, that is just one of my
idiosyncrasies. IMHO, XML is great for defining data. Not for writing
procedures and instructions on how to do things. Programming languages
are much better at that.

Regards,
Ruth
Find me on the web at http://www.myofbiz.com or Google keyword "myofbiz"
ruth.hoffman@myofbiz.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "james_sg" <sn...@hotmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> I would prefer logic tier codes that allows me to
> 1. step through with a debugger;
> 2. add breakpoint; and
> 3. track variables :)

Most of the time <log... is enough for me, I must even say all the time :o)

Jacques

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> If you could change anything about the logic tier in OFBiz (basically the Service Engine, services written in simple-methods and Java; also less formal logic like the many *Worker and *Helper classes), what would you change?

Better support for user-defined Java types (something I have been
working on). That would lead to the possibility of implementing DSL in
Groovy.

Mini-language's main benefit is its terseness. Its main drawback is it's
a procedural language. Worse yet, it is a procedural language written in
XML. It would be cool if we could implement the same "single line of
code does a lot of stuff" concept in Groovy.

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: Logic Tier

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
for now you can use
<log level="info" message="Called the Event: simpleEventTest"/>
or
<log level="info" message="textDataLen:${textDataLen}"/>
in the simple methods.

BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

james_sg sent the following on 3/11/2010 9:05 AM: