Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com> on 2007/05/22 17:59:00 UTC

RE:[SOLVED] Tomcat 5.5, IPv6, APR, HTTP and HTTPS

 My application has to work on both Unix and Windows over both IPv4 and
IPv6 transport
using Http or Https.

I am documenting my experience for a "newbie".

Here is a summary of what works on what platform.

Windows:  (See apache bug 41973 for additional comments)
  tcnative-1.1.8-ipv4.dll works only for IPv4
  {tcnative-1.1.7-ipv6, tcnative-1.1.8-ipv6, tcnative-1.1.9.dll} works
for both IPv4 and IPv6
  providing you define two HTTP connectors both listening to port 80
(whatever port) with
  address="0.0.0.0" and address="::"
  Likewise, you have to define two HTTPS connectors both listening to
port 443.
  tcnative-1.1.10  - I got an error "Error starting EndPoint.No Such
host". I did not
  pursue this because of the above working options.

Solaris:
 Compiled APR 1.2.8, tcnative-1.1.8, openssl-0.9.8b to produce
libtcnative-1.1.8.so
 In addition to libc.so, this also needed libgcc.so. Once this was
included in the path,
 HTTP and HTTPS transport over IPv4 and IPv6 worked like a charm without
any additional
 configuration changes like Windows.

Linux RH4:
 Compiled APR 1.2.8, tcnative-1.1.8. It already had openSSL-0.9.8b.
Produced libtcnative-1.1.8.so.
 Again both HTTP and HTTPS worked over both IPV4 and IPv6 transport.

Regards
Lakshmi
Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
Correction to Linux section.

 My application has to work on both Unix and Windows over both IPv4 and
IPv6 transport
using Http or Https.

I am documenting my experience for a "newbie".

Here is a summary of what works on what platform.

Windows:  (See apache bug 41973 for additional comments)
  tcnative-1.1.8-ipv4.dll works only for IPv4
  {tcnative-1.1.7-ipv6, tcnative-1.1.8-ipv6, tcnative-1.1.9.dll} works
for both IPv4 and IPv6
  providing you define two HTTP connectors both listening to port 80
(whatever port) with
  address="0.0.0.0" and address="::"
  Likewise, you have to define two HTTPS connectors both listening to
port 443.
  tcnative-1.1.10  - I got an error "Error starting EndPoint.No Such
host". I did not
  pursue this because of the above working options.

Solaris 9:
 Compiled APR 1.2.8, tcnative-1.1.8, openssl-0.9.8b to produce
libtcnative-1.1.8.so  In addition to libc.so, this also needed
libgcc.so. Once this was included in the path,  HTTP and HTTPS transport
over IPv4 and IPv6 worked like a charm without any additional
configuration changes like Windows.

Linux RH4:
 Compiled APR 1.2.8, tcnative-1.1.8. The server that I was working on
already had openSSL-0.9.8b.
 So did not have to compile this. While compiling tcnative, used --with
ssl option and gave its location.