Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by cowwoc <co...@bbs.darktech.org> on 2018/04/20 07:48:33 UTC

IntelliJ IDEA vs Netbeans

Hi,

I just spent the past 2 weeks using IntelliJ IDEA exclusively (having
used it sporatically before). I'm going to share some brief thoughts in
the hopes that it helps.

As far as I can tell, IntelliJ's killer feature is their debugger (more
broadly, their UI). Our killer feature is our profiler, and Maven
integration (more broadly, bundling more functionality standard).

  * Netbeans drives development of Maven projects through Maven. This
    results in better integration than IntelliJ provides (e.g. good luck
    trying to start a debugging session through Maven) but it has a
    downside of poor performance.
  * Specifically, the REPL loop for IntelliJ is much quicker than
    Netbeans for Maven projects. Compilation and execution is almost
    instanteous and I also don't recall ever waiting on updating the
    Maven index.
  * Their UX focuses more heavily on providing just-in-time
    contextually-relevant information than Netbeans. The obvious example
    is how their editor will show the value of variables during a
    debugging session immediately before and after a line is executed.
    They also do a nice job of hiding threads with similar stacktraces
    so if (for example) I've got 100 idle worker threads, the thread
    list they show is not cluttered with them. I like this a lot.

The final point I'm sure you already know: our UI is a lot more klunky
than theirs. I don't mean that their IDE is "better looking" but rather
that we have many long-standing UI bugs that are simply not present on
their end (clashing foreground/background colors making text hard to
read, viewport whose default size is too small, etc).

Anyway, that's it for now. I hope it helps.

Gili

Re: IntelliJ IDEA vs Netbeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
So set up a Wiki page on the Apache NetBeans Wiki, create a table, list all
those features, assign an issue to each feature. If you have a different
proposal for how to tackle this (and it can’t be “I will wait another 3
months and then write another e-mail just like this one”), please suggest
it and implement it.

Gj

Posted by Attila Kelemen <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gonzalo,

I think you misunderstood my comment about Gradle support. I meant that
once NB 9 was completely released, I don't want to support previous NB
versions because I did a lot of refactoring, so adding a feature to both
branches is double the work but as is now, I add fixes to both branches
(when it makes sense). That said, I admitedly spend a lot less effort of
plugin development nowadays which is probably because it suits all my needs
(a lot better that Idea except for Gradle script support - pretty good in
Idea - but that would need Groovy improvement).

If you have any needs for the plugin, I would appreciate if you could
explain it in detail what feature you really miss (though if it is EE
related I probably won't spend effort on it)and how do you want it to
presented. Since usually the most difficult thing is to decide how some
feature should be presented (the UI) and how it should interact with other
features (and also backward compatibility ...).

Attila Kelemen

Posted by Gonzalo Ortiz Jaureguizar <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 at 10:12 Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> wrote:

> I can try to cresate a list for those Things, but why we Need a list? I
> think the tickets should be enough to catch them up.

Aside from that the JIRA interface is horrible?! ;-)  From my perspective,
I'd say there needs to be some form of meta-tracking / planning.  That
could of course happen in the issue tracker itself, and maybe should - wiki
does mean manual syncing.

> @Neil, I worked serveral years with FF ...

I wasn't trying to start a browser flame war, I just found your parallel
interesting from a personal perspective related also to my use of NetBeans
- what is theoretically more popular / better featured doesn't apply *for
me* if the tool workflow and feature set of something else covers my needs
and makes me more productive.  Chrome may do more, but I also find it
clunky to work with - sometimes it's good to concentrate on less but do it
better!

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: IntelliJ IDEA vs Netbeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Nope, nobody said “create a ticket and do it by your own”. However, if we
don’t know which very specific features or issues you’re missing, you’ll
definitely write another e-mail exactly like this one three months from
now. “Help me to help you,” as Tom Cruise once said. What do I and others
need to do, specifically, to help you not need to write this e-mail again
three months from now? We can’t do everything. But if we could do
something, what would it be?

AW: IntelliJ IDEA vs Netbeans

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Sounds like an amazing plan absolutely !!!
Thanks

Cheers,
Kai

Posted by cowwoc <co...@bbs.darktech.org>.
Laszlo,

Thank you for taking the time to do this, but I don't see any screenshot
attached to your email. Maybe the mailing list stripped it out?

Can someone help Laszlo share his dashboard publicly (permission fix)?

Gili

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Christian Bourque <ch...@gmail.com>.
I have to agree with Gili...

Posted by Валера Солдатов <v....@gmail.com>.
22.04.2018 22:39, William L. Thomson Jr. пишет:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 22:01:48 +0200
> Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com> wrote:
>
>> Just wondering...  for example, if you need to coding with C++, the
>> only way to get decent C/C++ support within the IntelliJ IDEA is to
>> use/buy JetBrains CLion.
>> Anyway NetBeans IDE supports everything in one, and you no need to
>> have all possible features like IntelliJ. Simple said!
> Lately I do more C in Netbeans than Java. It has good support for
> CMake, my preferred C build system. Not really on the Meson bandwagon.
> Only bits I am eager to see Oracle release :)
>
> Oracle/Sun always used Netbeans for much more than Java. It was the
> foundation for their other products for C/C++ and Fortran/
> It has had a stupid amount of names/rebranding...
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Developer_Studio
>
> Netbeans + Commercial stuff

Now almost all IDE-related Developer Studio features can be found in
https://hg.netbeans.org/ sources.

Re: IntelliJ IDEA vs Netbeans

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rodolfo Fortes <rf...@gmail.com>.
If it's to compare to IntelliJ it must be done with their community
version, that's free like NetBeans but lacks a lot of features.
To me, NetBeans is the best free IDE available to work with Java EE, I
tried Eclipse but I found its interface outdated and not straightforward as
NetBeans, I find it very easy to start a Java EE/Maven project with
NetBeans. A killer feature to me it's a plugin one, the Jeddict plugin! It
helped me a LOT! Sometimes when dealing with legacy systems I need just of
their database, Jeddict helps me to take it and reverse engineering to JPA
Entitys! I didn't find something so easy to work with as this plugin even
in the paid IntelliJ, I hope their developers continue to improve it.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
@Gili/Laszlo

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
Intellij integration with Maven is quite poor and indexing, in my
experience, takes much longer than NB.

Strangely enough, since [NETBEANS-655] is a show-stopper for me I decided
to try Intellij yesterday.  It's quite weak.  While it does create the
Maven project it does not produce a *.jar file with the default set-up,
installs very old plugins, and even after fixing the packaging xml does not
produce a packaging component.

Inellij does not manage projects as well as NB does (i.e. delete, close)
The NB editor provides some really convenient features such as imports
(Ctrl+Shift+i) which are useful when starting to develop a class.  Other
editor features appear to be comparable.

I've also recently looked (again) at Eclipse -- now there's a total train
wreck if anybody wants to see one.

I always keep an eye on the competition but keep running back to NB for the
nice productivity features.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Leon <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Some other People say that, better indexing with NB over IntelliJ but I can say sometimes yes and sometimes not. I can say what I tested was the go to file and this is often clunky in NetBeans or the quick search is not that fast over intelliJ and and and. Open Options Needs some MS to open etc. So I can say that the Performance of IntelliJ is way better in different cases than in NetBeans. I will add some comparisions too.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.