Posted to history@apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/06/05 12:40:02 UTC

Re: Apache Platforms and History

> From: Alton Harkcom <ha...@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Apache Platforms and History
> Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 22:37:51 -0400
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in learning more
> about the History of Apache. In
> particular the beginnings. What
> devices were apache driven and how
> were they used... When they were used...
>
> Thanks,
> Al

Al,

As it happens, a few of us have just started in on an Apache History
project, delving into the historical record (mostly the 84,000 messages
in the archives of the httpd-dev mailing list, but also elsewhere) to
try to figure out how things happened the way that they did, and why it
worked.

We are just in the beginning phases of this, and there are really only
two people actively involved. We will have a web site later this week at
http://www.apache.org/history/ which will have, among other things,
subscription information for the mailing list where we will be
discussing our finds.

I'm sorry that we don't have an immediate answer to your question, but
we are working on it, and would be very interested in any answers that
you might come up with in your research.

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go