Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com> on 2017/04/05 10:57:40 UTC

Syslog

Why do we have both SyslogAppender and SyslogLayout/RFC5424Layout?

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Syslog

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
No, if anything I would propose to remove (or deprecate) SyslogAppender.
But never mind.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Syslog

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Let me rephrase. http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender <http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender> describes exactly what it does - write either using the BSD Syslog format or the RFC 5424 format. A user who wants to write to syslog is most likely going to look at that appender and use it. The SyslogAppender uses the two layouts to accomplish this. The fact that the two layouts are also available for people to use is incidental.

Re: Syslog

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Why?

Re: Syslog