Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com> on 2003/01/23 23:16:22 UTC

strange response.getAttribute problem

In my index.jsp file, I have the following snippet of code:

<input type="hidden" name="dest" value="<%=
response.getAttribute("dest") %>" />

I'm trying to capture the value of the "dest" URL parameter.  I tried
setting it as an attribute in the response object that redirects to
index.jsp, and that didn't work.  But I thought for sure that if I
hardcoded it into the URL, it would work.  Strangely, if I call
index.jsp with the following URL:

domain.com:8080/webapp/index.jsp?dest=/test/path

Then the JSP renders as such:

<input type="hidden" name="dest" value="null" />

any idea why the GET attribute's not getting pulled into the JSP?

Thanks,

Erik

Re: strange response.getAttribute problem

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Bill Lunnon wrote:
> Try
> request.getParameter()

I must have been mixed up -- I could have sworn that they were
getAttribute()!  Thanks Bill.

> also
> you should test for null on the parameter (it will probably cause a
> NullPointerException down the line)

Yes, it returns the string "null" which my servlet will check for.  Thanks.

Posted by Bill Lunnon <bi...@mirrim.com.au>.
Try
request.getParameter()
also
you should test for null on the parameter (it will probably cause a
NullPointerException down the line)

HTH

Bill

Posted by Ron Day <ro...@ronday.cc>.
getAttribute returns 'Object'. You need to cast it to 'String'

Ron

Posted by Erik Price <ep...@ptc.com>.

Ron Day wrote:
> also its request.getAttribute, not response.getAttribute.

Sorry, typo ... ;)