Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Amresh Kumar Singh <am...@impetus.co.in> on 2012/11/08 19:21:49 UTC

Kundera 2.2 released

Hi All,

We are happy to announce release of Kundera 2.2.

Kundera is a JPA 2.0 based, object-datastore mapping library for NoSQL datastores. The idea behind Kundera is to make working with NoSQL Databases
drop-dead simple and fun. It currently supports Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB and relational databases.

Major Changes in this release:
* Geospatial Persistence and Queries for MongoDB
* Composite keys support for Cassandra and MongoDB
* Cassandra 1.1.6 migration
* Support for enum data type
* Named and Native queries support for REST based access

Github Issues Fixes (https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/issues):
Issue 136 - JPQL queries without WHERE clause or parameters fail
Issue 135 - MongoDB: enable WriteConcern, Safe mode and other properties on operation level.
Issue 133 - Externalize the database connection configuration
Issue 132 - problem in loading entity metadata when giving class name in class tag of persistence.xml
Issue 130 - Row not fully deleted from cassandra on em.remove(obj) - then cannot reinsert row with same key

We have revamped our wiki, so you might want to have a look at it here:
https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/wiki

To download, use or contribute to Kundera, visit:
http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera

Latest released tag version is 2.2. Kundera maven libraries are now available at: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/com/impetus

Sample codes and examples for using Kundera can be found here:
http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera-Examples
and
https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/tree/trunk/kundera-tests

Thank you all for your contributions!

Regards,
Kundera Team.

________________________________

Neustar VP and Impetus CEO to present on 'Innovative information services powered by Cloud and Big Data technologies'at Cloud Expo - Santa Clara, Nov 6th. http://www.impetus.com/events#2.

Check out Impetus contribution to build Luminar - a new business unit at Entravision. http://lf1.me/MS/

Re: Kundera 2.2 released

Posted by yiyu jia <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

I got it. Kundera is JPA compatible. But, it is not 100% JPA comaptible.
weird statement.

thanks a lot for sharing info.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Vivek Mishra <vi...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> "Can we always mark yes for Kundera if we list out
> all benefit of JPA 2.0 promised? If we can not, why Kundera is declared to
> be JPA compatible?"
>
> <Vivek>Yes, you can mark it. It is not a 100% JPA compatible(Kundera never
> claimed it) but it provides all the features in JPA way. Not introducing
> any new annotation/class specifically other than JPA spec. </Vivek>
>
> Kundera is JPA compatible.
>
> -Vivek

* Mr. Jia Yiyu                                *
*                                                   *
* Email: jia.yiyu@gmail.com          *
*                                                   *
* Web: http://yiyujia.blogspot.com/*

RE: Kundera 2.2 released

Thanks for info. I skim over the FAQ of Kundera. I found this:

*Q:* OK...OK...I understand simplicity, ease of use and all that stuff, but
what about flexibility and power that I am accustomed to while using that
plain vanilla low level library like thrift?
*A:* We understand JPA was built for relational databases and may not

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Vivek Mishra <vi...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> Have a look at:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera
> for more details on kundera.
>
> JPA is java persistence API. So w.r.t  HBase, still you can represent
> hbase table in same. Here is the link for kundera-hbase module:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/tree/trunk/kundera-hbase
>
> -Vivek

* Mr. Jia Yiyu                                *
*                                                   *
* Email: jia.yiyu@gmail.com          *
*                                                   *

Re: Kundera 2.2 released

Posted by yiyu jia <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for info. I skim over the FAQ of Kundera. I found this:

*Q:* OK...OK...I understand simplicity, ease of use and all that stuff, but
what about flexibility and power that I am accustomed to while using that
plain vanilla low level library like thrift?
*A:* We understand JPA was built for relational databases and may not
always provide you ways to perform functions (many times with certain
tweaks) that are NoSQL specific. That's the reason we introduced data-store
specific configuration in Kundera-2.0.7. For more on this, refer to

So, it looks like my suspection is reasonable and others asked same
question before already. Can we always mark yes for Kundera if we list out
all benefit of JPA 2.0 promised? If we can not, why Kundera is declared to
be JPA compatible?

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM, Vivek Mishra <vi...@impetus.co.in>wrote:

> Have a look at:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera
> for more details on kundera.
>
> JPA is java persistence API. So w.r.t  HBase, still you can represent
> hbase table in same. Here is the link for kundera-hbase module:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/tree/trunk/kundera-hbase
>
> -Vivek

* Mr. Jia Yiyu                                *
*                                                   *
* Email: jia.yiyu@gmail.com          *
*                                                   *
* Web: http://yiyujia.blogspot.com/*

RE: Kundera 2.2 released

Thanks for info. This is interesting. But, I have a basic question: How can
Kundera benefit NoSQL programmer? Or, why can kundera benefit a NoSQL
programming project? I feel it is difficult to group different NoSQL
technique under one umbellrea as there are too much difference among NoSQL
databases in terms of db design, target problem etc. Also, my understand of
JPA is that it is mainly a OR mapping technique?

Thanks and regards,

Yiyu

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Amresh Kumar Singh <
amresh.singh@impetus.co.in> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are happy to announce release of Kundera 2.2.
>
> Kundera is a JPA 2.0 based, object-datastore mapping library for NoSQL
> datastores. The idea behind Kundera is to make working with NoSQL Databases
> drop-dead simple and fun. It currently supports Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB
> and relational databases.
>
> Major Changes in this release:
> * Geospatial Persistence and Queries for MongoDB
> * Composite keys support for Cassandra and MongoDB
> * Cassandra 1.1.6 migration
> * Support for enum data type
> * Named and Native queries support for REST based access
>
> Github Issues Fixes (https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/issues
> ):
> Issue 136 - JPQL queries without WHERE clause or parameters fail
> Issue 135 - MongoDB: enable WriteConcern, Safe mode and other properties
> on operation level.
> Issue 133 - Externalize the database connection configuration
> Issue 132 - problem in loading entity metadata when giving class name in
> class tag of persistence.xml
> Issue 130 - Row not fully deleted from cassandra on em.remove(obj) - then
> cannot reinsert row with same key
>
> We have revamped our wiki, so you might want to have a look at it here:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/wiki
>
> To download, use or contribute to Kundera, visit:
> http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera
>
> Latest released tag version is 2.2. Kundera maven libraries are now
> available at:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/com/impetus
>
> Sample codes and examples for using Kundera can be found here:
> http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera-Examples
> and
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/tree/trunk/kundera-tests
>
> Thank you all for your contributions!
>
> Regards,
> Kundera Team.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Neustar VP and Impetus CEO to present on 'Innovative information services
> powered by Cloud and Big Data technologies'at Cloud Expo - Santa Clara, Nov
> 6th. http://www.impetus.com/events#2.
>
> Check out Impetus contribution to build Luminar - a new business unit at
> Entravision. http://lf1.me/MS/

* Mr. Jia Yiyu                                *
*                                                   *
* Email: jia.yiyu@gmail.com          *
*                                                   *

Re: Kundera 2.2 released

Posted by yiyu jia <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for info. This is interesting. But, I have a basic question: How can
Kundera benefit NoSQL programmer? Or, why can kundera benefit a NoSQL
programming project? I feel it is difficult to group different NoSQL
technique under one umbellrea as there are too much difference among NoSQL
databases in terms of db design, target problem etc. Also, my understand of
JPA is that it is mainly a OR mapping technique?

Thanks and regards,

Yiyu

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Amresh Kumar Singh <
amresh.singh@impetus.co.in> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are happy to announce release of Kundera 2.2.
>
> Kundera is a JPA 2.0 based, object-datastore mapping library for NoSQL
> datastores. The idea behind Kundera is to make working with NoSQL Databases
> drop-dead simple and fun. It currently supports Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB
> and relational databases.
>
> Major Changes in this release:
> * Geospatial Persistence and Queries for MongoDB
> * Composite keys support for Cassandra and MongoDB
> * Cassandra 1.1.6 migration
> * Support for enum data type
> * Named and Native queries support for REST based access
>
> Github Issues Fixes (https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/issues
> ):
> Issue 136 - JPQL queries without WHERE clause or parameters fail
> Issue 135 - MongoDB: enable WriteConcern, Safe mode and other properties
> on operation level.
> Issue 133 - Externalize the database connection configuration
> Issue 132 - problem in loading entity metadata when giving class name in
> class tag of persistence.xml
> Issue 130 - Row not fully deleted from cassandra on em.remove(obj) - then
> cannot reinsert row with same key
>
> We have revamped our wiki, so you might want to have a look at it here:
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/wiki
>
> To download, use or contribute to Kundera, visit:
> http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera
>
> Latest released tag version is 2.2. Kundera maven libraries are now
> available at:
> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/com/impetus
>
> Sample codes and examples for using Kundera can be found here:
> http://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera-Examples
> and
> https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera/tree/trunk/kundera-tests
>
> Thank you all for your contributions!
>
> Regards,
> Kundera Team.
>
> ________________________________
>
> Neustar VP and Impetus CEO to present on 'Innovative information services
> powered by Cloud and Big Data technologies'at Cloud Expo - Santa Clara, Nov
> 6th. http://www.impetus.com/events#2.
>
> Check out Impetus contribution to build Luminar - a new business unit at
> Entravision. http://lf1.me/MS/

* Mr. Jia Yiyu                                *
* Email: jia.yiyu@gmail.com          *
* Web: http://yiyujia.blogspot.com/*