Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/25 07:53:45 UTC

[math] Formatting Infinities and NaN in exception messages

Researching MATH-414, I am seeing this stacktrace:

org.apache.commons.math.ConvergenceException: Continued fraction diverged to
NaN for value ?
    at
org.apache.commons.math.util.ContinuedFraction.evaluate(ContinuedFraction.java:186)

The "?" should represent positive infinity (the actual parameter passed to
the exception constructor).  Any ideas on how we can modify our framework to
support formatting infinities and NaNs?

Phil