Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Pe...@softwareag.com on 2004/10/19 13:15:34 UTC

New features in Slide 2.1 - Questions

Hi,

I need some help in getting informations about the new features in Slide
2.1 (mainly WebDAV-related and compared to 2.0).
Is the roadmap (http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/roadmap.html) the right
place to look at?
I'm also looking at the binary 2.1b2 distribution and at the source
code, of course.
For the "MS Exchange 2000 compliant" features I looked at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/wss
/wss_references_webdav.asp.

Questions:

- Notification
The roadmap says: "MS Exchange 2000 compliant" and I found new methods
SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE, POLL, EVENT ... but not NOTIFY? ... and I found
no description for EVENT in the MS reference?

- External transactions
The roadmap says: "MS Exchange 2000 compliant".  I suppose this is about
LOCK/UNLOCK-controlled external transactions and the use of the
Transaction header mainly, right?
Which methods support the Transaction header ... MKCOL, PUT, PROPPATCH,
DELETE, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, MKWORKSPACE, ...?
Where are erxternal transactions implemented?
==> Do the individual store implementations need to be
external_transaction aware?

- Extractor Framework
This refers to indexing and means to extract metadata from MS Office and
PDF documents, right? Is there a  description how to use it?
Configuration in Domain.xml?
==> Do the individual store implementations need to be indexing aware?

- Redirect reference support
What is that?

- JAAS Login Module
I found docu about this :)

- JCA Connector
I found docu about this :)

- WebDAV Projector
Will it be part of 2.1? I found it in 2.1b1 - didn't work out-of-the-box
:( - but not in 2.1b2?
Is there a description how to use it?

You probably are thinking I'm behind the times by asking such things ...
sorry!

Thank,

Peter

Re: New features in Slide 2.1 - Questions

Posted by Stefan Lützkendorf <lu...@apache.org>.
some answers inline.
Stefan

Peter.Nevermann@softwareag.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need some help in getting informations about the new features in Slide
> 2.1 (mainly WebDAV-related and compared to 2.0).
> Is the roadmap (http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/roadmap.html) the right
> place to look at?
> I'm also looking at the binary 2.1b2 distribution and at the source
> code, of course.
> For the "MS Exchange 2000 compliant" features I looked at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/wss
> /wss_references_webdav.asp.
>
> Questions:
>
> - Notification
> The roadmap says: "MS Exchange 2000 compliant" and I found new methods
> SUBSCRIBE, UNSUBSCRIBE, POLL, EVENT ... but not NOTIFY? ... and I found
> no description for EVENT in the MS reference?
EVENT is an extention. "The EVENT methods can be used to fire a custom
event. This might be useful if you are having a clustered client side
application and you want to use Slide to distribute some events to all
listeners." (by Daniel)

> - External transactions
> The roadmap says: "MS Exchange 2000 compliant".  I suppose this is about
> LOCK/UNLOCK-controlled external transactions and the use of the
> Transaction header mainly, right?
> Which methods support the Transaction header ... MKCOL, PUT, PROPPATCH,
> DELETE, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, MKWORKSPACE, ...?
> Where are erxternal transactions implemented?
> ==> Do the individual store implementations need to be
> external_transaction aware?
>
> - Extractor Framework
> This refers to indexing and means to extract metadata from MS Office and
> PDF documents, right? Is there a  description how to use it?
> Configuration in Domain.xml?
> ==> Do the individual store implementations need to be indexing aware?
>
> - Redirect reference support
> What is that?
This is currently not integrated.
This would enable you to add a resource that automatically redirects to
an other resource via a 302
http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-latest.html#overview

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
Peter.Nevermann@softwareag.com schrieb:
> - External transactions
> The roadmap says: "MS Exchange 2000 compliant".  I suppose this is about
> LOCK/UNLOCK-controlled external transactions and the use of the
> Transaction header mainly, right?
> Which methods support the Transaction header ... MKCOL, PUT, PROPPATCH,
> DELETE, CHECKOUT, CHECKIN, MKWORKSPACE, ...?
> Where are erxternal transactions implemented?
> ==> Do the individual store implementations need to be
> external_transaction aware?

External transactions are implemented in the client as well as in the
server. All methods support transactions, as this is done in the
abstract method. If the store has been implemented JTA compliant, then
there is nothing to change for them. However, none of the default store
and neither the transactional cache was ;) So, I had to change them a bit...

Oliver