Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/10/27 22:21:18 UTC

Re: AVRO-RPC

Dear Radu,

Thanks. I am CC’ing the Apache OODT dev list.

1.       In 1.9 (current master to be released), XML-RPC will remain the default. The plan
is to release 1.9 with BOTH XML-RPC *and working* AvroRPC support with XML-RPC
turned on as master, with @Deprecated XML-RPC then to forward to 2.0 and in 2.0…

2.       In 2.0 to make AvroRPC the default, and completely remove the XML-RPC support. So,
remove all @Deprecated classes for XML-RPC.

3.       Yes, I need help finishing off PCS and Resource can you please help? Also need help
finishing Crawler. We should deprecate CrawlDaemon and Controller (the XMLRPC ones)
and make AvroRPC versions in 1.9.

Does this plan make sense? If so can you also help me figure out why AvroRPC *works* but the client
hangs on my computer running Java8 and MVN3. I can build and test File Manager and try out AvroRPC,
it successfully connects to the server, and tells me 0 products for Generic File, but unless I hit Ctrl + C on the
client it doesn’t automatically close out the server connection.

Any idea there?

Cheers,

Chris

From: Radu Manole <ma...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 6:34 AM
To: Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>
Subject: AVRO-RPC

Hi,

sorry I'm so late, was busy last week, I looked at the all the modules where avro is implemented.

most important modules are done In my opinion, but need some tweaks,

should the avro be the default if if xmlrpc is deprecated?

resource module its not finished, and tested.

pcs module uses resource module xmlrpc classes, should be useing abstract class.

And the crawler module the CrawlDeamon and CrawlDeamonController are deprecated, should they be replaced to avrorpc implementation (like is written in the comments)?

I may find some more things that should be changed.

Sorry, but what is the best approach for working on the project at this time.