Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shawn <ja...@koyuru.com> on 2004/02/09 10:28:40 UTC

Tomcat w Java1.5 beta problem

Hello,

Under Tomcat 5.0.18 with servlets compiled with 1.5 beta, I get an odd
message, and  the servlet won't load.  When the same servlet is compiled
with 1.4.2 it runs fine.

The method signature in the following message is correct.  There is simple
nothing to complain about.   Is this a problem with Tomcat or Java
sdk1.5.  Where is the best place to report this to?

No, I have not altertered my common/endorsed jars

2004-02-09 12:00:13 StandardContext[/midp]Servlet /midp threw load()
exception

----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.VerifyError: (class: com/koyuru/midp/servlets/LessonDownload,
method: compareAvailableToOnHandset signature:
(Ljava/util/Vector;Ljava/util/Vector;)[Ljava/lang/String;) Incompatible
object argument for function call
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1873)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1002)

Shawn

Happily using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

Re: Tomcat w Java1.5 beta problem

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
>  I get the complaint from both IDEs I use because of the fact that the
> collections have changed, in order to support generics.
>
> I haven't tried running my JDK1.5 classes under jdk1.4.2 yet, as I am
> still trying to get all of my unit tests to pass. <g>

  Oh, I thought you had run it under Tomcat.

  Use ant to run your unit tests. <g>  That is what I am doing.

  Also, Netbeans doesn't seem to have a problem with compiling and
running the tests, if you have the external program set to jdk1.5.0.

  For my jdk1.4.2 unit testing I use ant though and that works fine.

  I have given up trying to get Netbeans or Eclipse to stop complaining
about the new features I am using.

--
"Love is mutual self-giving that ends in self-recovery." Fulton Sheen
James Black    james@usf.edu

Re: Tomcat w Java1.5 beta problem

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
Shawn wrote:

> Under Tomcat 5.0.18 with servlets compiled with 1.5 beta, I get an odd
> message, and  the servlet won't load.  When the same servlet is
> compiled with 1.4.2 it runs fine.

  I have tried compiling with:
javac -source 1.5 -target 1.4 ... ?