Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pazmiño, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad> on 2011/01/03 22:18:51 UTC

Commit fails with path not found

Hello,

I've moved some files (java classes) from a directory to another, and
now commit fails complaining the containing folder doesn't exist

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: '/svn/app-project/trunk/app-project-web/src/main/webapp/templates'
path not found: 404 Not Found (https://xxx)

The path in the message is the path where the file used to be and in the
eclipse IDE the folder and file both have a red arrow over them.

I've tried merging, overriding and commiting, but none works. Any ideas?

Thanks,
IP

"Clausula de Confidencialidad: La información contenida en el presente mensaje es confidencial, está dirigida
exclusivamente a su destinatario y no puede ser vinculante. El Servicio de Rentas Internas no se
responsabiliza por su uso y deja expresa constancia que en los registros de la Institución consta la
información originalmente enviada. Este mensaje está protegido por la Ley de Propiedad Intelectual, Ley de
Comercio Electrónico, Firmas y Mensajes de datos, reglamentos y acuerdos internacionales relacionados. Si
usted no es el destinatario de este mensaje, recomendamos su eliminación inmediata. La distribución o copia
del mismo, está prohibida y será sancionada de acuerdo al Código Penal y demás normas aplicables. La
transmisión de información por correo electrónico, no garantiza que la misma sea segura o esté libre de error,
por consiguiente, se recomienda su verificación.Toda solicitud de información requerida de manera oficial al
SRI debe ser ingresada por Secretaría General y dirigida a la máxima autoridad de la Institución, conforme a
la Ley y demás normas vigentes."

Re: Commit fails with path not found

Posted by Pazmiño, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>.
Hello David, thanks so much your help.
I can't get to the first step yet. Once I have updated the project and
have no ! marks anymore, all the conflicting directories are marked
with ?, but when trying to commit it complains because the target
directory is missing

svn commit
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Directory '.../recursos-revision/recursos-revision-ear/target/.svn'
containing working copy admin area is missing

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Commit fails with path not found

Posted by Pazmiño, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>.
thanks for your reply.
I do have one folder added to be ignored, in the root the target folder,
but it doesn't even appear in the listing.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
2011/1/7 Pazmiño Mazón, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>:
> I have cleaned the project and checked the -xxx/target directories
> doesn't exist anymore. Then updated. But when tried to check the status
> again the folders still are shown in the result.
>
> svn update
> At revision 60654.
>
> svn status
>  M      .
> !       recursos-revision-ejb/target
> ?
> recursos-revision-ejb/src/main/java/ec/gob/sri/recursos/revision/comun
> ?
> recursos-revision-ejb/src/main/java/ec/gob/sri/recursos/revision/ejb/entidades
> ?
> recursos-revision-ejb/src/main/java/ec/gob/sri/recursos/revision/ejb/exception
> ?
> recursos-revision-ejb/src/main/java/ec/gob/sri/recursos/revision/ejb/dao/impl
> ?
> recursos-revision-ejb/src/main/java/ec/gob/sri/recursos/revision/servicio/impl
> !       recursos-revision-ear/target
> M       recursos-revision-ear/pom.xml
> !       recursos-revision-web/target
> ?       recursos-revision-web/src/main/config
> ?       recursos-revision-web/src/main/webapp
> ?       recursos-revision-web/src/main/java/ec
> A       .settings
> A       .settings/org.eclipse.jdt.core.prefs
> A       .settings/org.maven.ide.eclipse.prefs
>
> and of course if I try to commit it's not possible due to the missing
> folders

I haven't followed/read this thread closely, but just a thought: is
there perhaps some svn:ignore property, or global ignores playing a
role? You can get strange things if you first create a versioned item
(add a file/directory to svn), and subsequently put this in an
svn:ignore property.

(also, if you can, please don't top-post on this list, but put your
reply below or inline the thing you're replying to)

--
Johan

Re: Commit fails with path not found

Posted by Pazmiño, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>.
This project went through some big refactoring. It was not a maven
project at first and had very different directories structure. The
modules did not exist before so all the -ejb -ear and -web directories
are new and the source and other files inside were originally in
directories on the root directory.

I've looked into some of the problem directories and no one is marked
with (!)

        From: David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>
        To: iapazmino@sri.gob.ec
        Cc: users@subversion.apache.org

        Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:08:27 -0500

        2011/1/4 Pazmiño Mazón, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>:
        > I just moved the directories within the IDE, it's eclipse, and
        worked
        on
        > them for quite long before being ready to commit. I'm using
        subversive
        > plugin.

        If you don't have the command line Subversion client installed,
        install
        it on your system, and try the following:

        Go to the directory where your files are checked out and run:

        C> svn status

        This will print out the status of the various files in your
        working
        directory. If the first column is an exclamation point (!), it
        means
        that the file exists in Subversion, but does not exist in your
        working
        directory. If the first column of the report is a question mark
        (?), it
        means that the item is not under version control.

        I have a feeling that when you moved files around with Eclipse,
        it
        didn't inform Subversion what you were doing, and you'll see the
        files
        in the directory where they were moved starting with a "?" and
        in the
        directory where they were moved from, you'll see a "!".

        I just played around with my Subversion install, and see the
        following:

          H:\svn> move groups.pl File
          H:\svn> svn status
          ?       File\groups.pl
          !       groups.pl
          M       updateRms.cqpl

        I first moved the file "groups.pl" to the File directory, and
        ran "svn
        status".

        The first line in the status report is telling me that the file
        "groups.pl" is under the "File" directory, but is not under
        version
        control. The second line is telling me that the file "groups.pl"
        should
        be in the current directory, but isn't found there. Subversion
        may not
        let me commit my changes. (It might, but I'm not going to see
        what
        happens).

        What I should have done was:

               H:\svn> svn move groups.pl File
               A         File\groups.pl
               D         groups.pl

        Which would have not only moved the file, but told Subversion
        that I was
        moving the file. If I do that, my "svn status" report looks like
        this:

               H:\svn> svn status
               A  +    File\groups.pl
               D       groups.pl
               M       updateRms.cqpl

        Subversion is now showing me that I am adding a file called
        "groups.pl"
        to the "File" directory, and I'm deleting this file from the
        current
        directory. I can now do a "svn commit".

        I don't have a copy of Eclipse in front of me, but you need to
        do all
        SCM stuff using the "Team" menu item in the drop down menu when
        you
        click on a file. I believe you can move files from there.

        It could be that Eclipse is suppose to track drag and drop
        changes for
        SCM files, and it's not which would be an Eclipse issue. There
        may be
        someone on this list who can help you out, but you might have to
        ask at
        an Eclipse support site.

        So, run the "svn status" command and show us the output. It'll
        allow us
        to more easily identify the issues you're having.

        --
        David Weintraub
        qazwart@gmail.com

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pazmiño, Iván Andrés <ia...@sri.ad>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 3, 2011, at 15:32, Pazmiño Mazón, Iván Andrés wrote:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> svn update on the client
>
> what do you mean? using the client instead of the ide?

Using whatever. Presumably if you're using an IDE that has Subversion support, it will have a menu or button or something that will run an "svn update". If your IDE does not have Subversion support, well, that's a problem. And from what you've said before, it sounds like your IDE does not have Subversion support, or if it does, then it is not configured properly. It sounds like you've moved directories around in your IDE without the IDE informing Subversion about those moves. It's vital to inform Subversion about moves by performing the moves (or rather, having the IDE perform those moves) using the "svn mv" command. Consult your IDE's documentation to learn about its Subversion capabilities, if any.

Re: Commit fails with path not found

Posted by Nick <no...@codesniffer.com>.
On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 16:18 -0500, Pazmiño Mazón, Iván Andrés wrote:
> I've moved some files (java classes) from a directory to another, and
> now commit fails complaining the containing folder doesn't exist
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn:
> '/svn/app-project/trunk/app-project-web/src/main/webapp/templates'
> path not found: 404 Not Found (https://xxx)
>
> The path in the message is the path where the file used to be and in
> the
> eclipse IDE the folder and file both have a red arrow over them.
>
> I've tried merging, overriding and commiting, but none works. Any
> ideas?

Did you try svn update on the client?

NIck