Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Zacharias J. Beckman" <zb...@creativesun.com> on 2000/01/10 20:35:50 UTC

Contexts are case-sensitive?

Hm. I'm sorry if this is an "everyone knows" issue, but...

Contexts are case sensitive. Since URLs are generally NOT case sensitive,
this seems very counterintuitive and potentially just plain wrong. I was
under the impression that URLs are supposed to be case insensitive... which
would imply contexts should be as well...

Anyhow, this works:
    http://www.b2b.com/myb2b
But not this:
    http://www.b2b.com/myB2B

The latter results in a "not found" error from Apache.
--
Zacharias J. Beckman - zbeckman@creativesun.com - (U.S.) 305-281-8701
Creative Sun Inc., Publishing for the Internet - http://www.creativesun.com

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that
knows neither victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Contexts are case-sensitive?

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
"Zacharias J. Beckman" wrote:

> Hm. I'm sorry if this is an "everyone knows" issue, but...
>
> Contexts are case sensitive. Since URLs are generally NOT case sensitive,
> this seems very counterintuitive and potentially just plain wrong. I was
> under the impression that URLs are supposed to be case insensitive... which
> would imply contexts should be as well...
>
> Anyhow, this works:
>     http://www.b2b.com/myb2b
> But not this:
>     http://www.b2b.com/myB2B
>
> The latter results in a "not found" error from Apache.

Only the host name part of a URL is case insensitive; the path part is case
sensitive (haven't checked the spec now, but that's how I believe it's defined).

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com

Re: Contexts are case-sensitive?

Posted by "Zacharias J. Beckman" <zb...@creativesun.com>.
Ok, my mistake. Personally, I like case sensitivity (that whole Windows not
being case sensitive thing creeps me out). But, on the other hand, I usually
end up asking "when you typed the url, did you use all uppercase?" ;-) The
domain's lack of case sensitivity threw me.

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 1/10/00 11:35 AM, Zacharias J. Beckman <zb...@creativesun.com> wrote:

> Since URLs are generally NOT case sensitive,
> this seems very counterintuitive and potentially just plain wrong. I was
> under the impression that URLs are supposed to be case insensitive... which
> would imply contexts should be as well...

URL's are usually case sensitive. I don't know what you are talking about
with them not being case sensitive. Maybe not on NT, but definitely on unix
systems...

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>