Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Arshak Navruzyan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/11 14:41:48 UTC

OpenTSDB

I noticed Eric Newton's opentsdb adapter for Accumulo.  Is this still being
maintained?

https://github.com/ericnewton/accumulo-opentsdb

Also wondering if the StumbleUpon folks are willing to merge it in as an
alternative to HBase back end.

Thanks

Arshak

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
I've only seen it from another user on the OpenTSDB mailing list. :-)

The hack to write to accumulo using OpenTSDB was to replace the hbase async
library.  This trace indictes that it is still using the real hbase async
library.

You will want to ensure your OpenTSDB doesn't have this library in your
path, and just has the fake library that talks to accumulo.

-Eric

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Arshak Navruzyan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Possibly, but it would look different than Don described. It would be
fairly easy to write data to an existing HBase instance from Accumulo
(and one can probably assume the opposite to be true). Thus, Gets/Scans
would be using the HBase API.

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Donald Miner <dm...@clearedgeit.com>.
I've thought about this a lot actually (and finally have some time to sit
down and type it out). This plays into my larger idea of an automated
hbase->accumulo suite. A system that moves data from one to the other is
one piece, the other piece is letting existing hbase applications hit
accumulo instead. Anyways...

The most efficient thing to do is to have Accumulo tablet servers speak
something that a native hbase client can talk to.  What's going on in a
client is pretty complex, so it's not going to be as easy as writing some
interfaces. I think.

The proxy idea is okay, but I think we'll see some performance problems.

The other option is to do it client side, which would mean the applications
would need to be rebuilt with our "special" APIs that look the same as
before, but really behind the scenes are translating it to an accumulo
call. Maybe they'd have to change an import or something.

Maybe there is a larger project here, something like a bigtable API that
Cassandra, HBase, and Accumulo all can sign on to supporting. Or it is just
client-side code. Not sure. Then something like OpenTSDB or zipkin would
just write to the bigtable API and you wouldn't have to write new code.

Lot of options... not sure which one i like. Sorry for rambling.

-d

--

Donald Miner
Chief Technology Officer

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Donald Miner <dm...@clearedgeit.com>.

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
Don,

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Donald Miner <dm...@clearedgeit.com>.

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
I've started looking at something like this for the major read/write APIs
for HBase and Accumulo in Kite.

One difference is that I'd prefer to eventually get to a common API that
can be backed by either HBase 0.98+ or Accumulo.

--
Sean

Re: OpenTSDB

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.