Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marc Logemann <de...@logemann.info> on 2002/06/25 11:55:19 UTC

ANT tasks

Hi,

i am just doing some build tests with the ANT tasks supplied by the Tomcat
CVS.

I am wondering if its so good to throw an exception on failing to start
an webapp with org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask

When for some reason my webapp is allready started, i dont want to have my build
fail with buildError.

Instead there could be an attribute "buildErrorOnFail" which can be set to
true or false, indicating how to proceed on error situation:

<taskdef name="tcstart" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask"/>
<tcstart  url="${catalina.url}" username="${catalina.username}" password="${catalina.password}"
            path="/webapp"/ builderroronfail="false">

If we doesnt provide this, the user must handle this situation in ANT itself which is
quite an emberassing issue.

This goes also for some other Tasks in the tomcat distro.

Any comments on this? I could provide a version of the tasks which is capable of that, Craig
i think you coded them, i would like to hear especially your oppinion :)

bye

---
greetings from
Marc Logemann
Homebase @ www.logemann.info

Re: ANT tasks

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Marc Logemann wrote:

> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:55:19 +0200
> From: Marc Logemann <de...@logemann.info>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: ANT tasks
>
> Hi,
>
> i am just doing some build tests with the ANT tasks supplied by the Tomcat
> CVS.
>
> I am wondering if its so good to throw an exception on failing to start
> an webapp with org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask
>
> When for some reason my webapp is allready started, i dont want to have
> my build fail with buildError.
>
> Instead there could be an attribute "buildErrorOnFail" which can be set to
> true or false, indicating how to proceed on error situation:
>

> <taskdef name="tcstart" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask"/>
> <tcstart  url="${catalina.url}" username="${catalina.username}" password="${catalina.password}"
>             path="/webapp"/ builderroronfail="false">
>
> If we doesnt provide this, the user must handle this situation in ANT
> itself which is quite an emberassing issue.
>
> This goes also for some other Tasks in the tomcat distro.
>
> Any comments on this? I could provide a version of the tasks which is
> capable of that, Craig i think you coded them, i would like to hear
> especially your oppinion :)

Makes sense to me, although it would be even nicer if you could
distinguish between the "app already running" and "app had startup
problems" situations ... could you submit an enhancement request to our
bug tracking system?

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Your proposed patches can be added as attachments.

> bye
>

> ---
> greetings from
> Marc Logemann