Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Gary VanMatre <gv...@comcast.net> on 2006/01/11 21:33:31 UTC

RE: [OT] Getting started is confusing [was] Re: Need advice bet ween Shale or Struts-Faces

>From: "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com>
>
> First thing I did was to create a helper base class with methods like the
> following
>
> public Object getRequestParameter(String key)
> {
> return
> FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext().getRequestParameterMap().get(key);
> }

The shale AbstractFacesBean class has a very similar helper method called getBean().

String init = (String) ((Map) getBean("param")).get("init");

About the same number of characters to type.  I've not worked in a portal environment but it's
reassuring to know that an application built in JSF can run in either without retooling.
That seems worth a couple key strokes.

Gary