Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2008/08/18 18:48:07 UTC

Documentation on Binary Protocol?

Has anyone written up a spec on the binary protocol? I'm sure it
could be deduced by reading the code, but it would be something nice
to have on the wiki. It would also serve as a good starter for
discussion around alternative protocols. If it doesn't exist, I'd be
glad to start writing some stuff down, but don't want to duplicated
effort.

-Bryan

Re: Documentation on Binary Protocol?

Posted by David Reiss <dr...@facebook.com>.
doc/thrift.bnf explains how the primitives are combined into
more complex structures, but it doesn't cover the way
TBinaryProtocol encodes individual elements.  As far as I know,
the only source for that at the moment is the code.

--David

Posted by Chad Walters <ch...@powerset.com>.
Bryan,

I don't think there is much beyond the code itself.

Add a ThriftProtocols page to the Wiki and put your docs on the BinaryProtocol there. I'll follow up with a description of the JSONProtocol using whatever format you used.

Chad