Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by y2k <yo...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/18 12:45:36 UTC

Memcached to Ignite Migration

Hi all,

Our app runs in production with Memcached but we are checking the
feasibility of replacing Memcached with ignite with minimal code/config
changes. Spymemcached is used as client & Google Protocol Buffers is being
used to serialize the objects before storing them in Memcached.

The main concern & the reason for the migration is the replication of the
data. This shortcoming directly impacts the disaster recovery. Say if we
lose a memcached server, it takes couple of hours for us to prime the cache.
The application is a real time system which does some computations, where
speed & accuracy is of essence for the end user.

1. Does Ignite have its own  Memcached client ?
2. Is spymemcached good enough to be continued with as a Memcached Client
while connecting to Ignite in case Memcahced is to be replaced ?
3. Has anyone attempted this kind of migration before ? Is there any
documentation for the lessons & challenges.
4. Is there any other strategy to overcome the replication issue in
Memcached.

Any suggestions/tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Memcached to Ignite Migration

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

There is an integration available for Ignite that supports the Memcached
API. I haven't seen any contributions to it for a while but it might be
still up-to-date:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memcached-support

Also, depending on your programming language you can switch to thin clients
of Ignite that support key-value APIs similar to Memcached and will perform
faster:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/thin-clients

-
Denis