Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com> on 2014/07/03 17:18:33 UTC

Need to evaluate the price of a Hadoop cluster

Hello Dear all,

I would like to evaluate the price of a Hadoop cluster using the below characteristics for my Namenode and for my Datanode.

My cluster should have one Namenode and three datanode.

Could someone help me with the price of commodity hardware with these characteristics, please ?

Standing by ...

NAMENODE

Model : xxx
CPU : 2 cpu 2GHz
RAM : 14 GB
HD: 1TB
OS: Rhel or Debian

Content :
Rhel 6 or Debian 7.5
ssh daemon
Apache 2.4
job tracker daemon
namenode daemon
dhcp service

DATANODE

Model : xxx
CPU : 1 cpu 3Ghz
RAM : 16 GB
HD: 3TB
OS: Rhel or Debian

Content :
Rhel 6 or Debian 7.5
ssh daemon
Apache 2.4
task tracker daemon
datanode daemon
dhcp service

Warm regards

-------------------
Gaël YIMEN YIMGA

Stagiaire - GBIS
ITEC/CSY/SAT

Tour CB 3 - S 04 025/ 58
170, place Henri Regnault
Paris - La Défense 6

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential, intended solely for the addressee(s), and may contain legally privileged information.
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or
falsified.
Please visit http://swapdisclosure.sgcib.com for important information with respect to derivative products.
                              ************
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont confidentiels et susceptibles de contenir des informations couvertes
par le secret professionnel.
Ce message est etabli a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
Veuillez consulter le site http://swapdisclosure.sgcib.com afin de recueillir d'importantes informations sur les produits derives.

RE: Need to evaluate the price of a Hadoop cluster

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hi,

Actually, i didn’t plan for a secondary namenode. But if I should do so, I will consider for secondary namenode the same characteristic as the primary namenode.

No, I’m not using Hadoop 2.x. I’m using Hadoop 1.2.1 (Distribution with JobTracker not resource manager)

Regards

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hi,

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hi,

Posted by YIMEN YIMGA Gael <ga...@sgcib.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Cristobal Giadach <cg...@gmail.com>.
Are you using Hadoop 2.x?

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.
Some comments:
3 drives each of capacity 1Tb will be better than one 3 Tb drive.

On a small cluster you can not afford to reserve a whole machine for each
master daemon. The NameNode and JobTracker will have to cohabit with
DataNodes and TaskTrackers.

As for pricing if it is for an institution you should visit a few vendor
websites. If it is for you then visit EBay.

You should add networking hardware to your budget.

Cheers

Posted by Cristobal Giadach <cg...@gmail.com>.
Are you using Hadoop 2.x?

Posted by Chris Mawata <ch...@gmail.com>.